Best Appendectomy Treatment & Diagnostics in Tardeo, Mumbai
Appendectomy is a surgical procedure that involves the removal of the appendix. The appendix is usually removed because of an inflammation, which is a condition called appendicitis.
What do we need to know about appendicitis?
The appendix is a finger-shaped organ that is present in the colon region of the lower side of the right abdomen. Appendicitis is a condition wherein there is a lot of pain in the lower right abdomen. The pain usually starts in the umbilical region around the navel and then moves towards the lower right region.
To avail of the surgical procedure, you can consult a general surgery doctor near you or you can visit a general surgery hospital near you.
What are the symptoms of appendicitis?
- Pain on the right side of the lower abdomen
- Sudden pain around the navel
- Loss of appetite
When should you see a doctor?
You should consult your healthcare provider if you show the symptoms mentioned above.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Tardeo, Mumbai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the different types of appendectomy?
- An open surgery is usually performed with one abdominal incision. The abdominal incision is usually two to four inches long. During a laparoscopic surgery, a surgeon inserts a camera and multiple surgical tools inside the abdomen to remove the appendix.
- Laparoscopic surgery usually requires less time. It is usually prescribed to people who are older and people who suffer from obesity.
- However, it is not appropriate for everyone if the appendix has ruptured and infection has spread beyond the appendix. In such a condition open appendectomy can be an option because it allows your surgeon to open the abdominal cavity and thoroughly clean it.
- In a condition where the appendix has burst and an abscess is formed around it, the abscess is drained. An abscess is drained by placing a tube through the skin into the abscess.
What are the benefits of the appendectomy procedure?
Appendectomy is considered a really important surgical procedure. The main benefit of this procedure is removal of the inflamed appendix. The inflamed appendix can lead to many complications if left untreated.
In general, laparoscopic appendectomy is a preferred method of surgery because it has a lower post-operative infection rate. Multiple research studies have also shown that laparoscopic appendectomies take less time to heal and hence results in a shorter hospital stay which can help the person in resuming normal activities as soon as possible.
Appendectomy is the surgical procedure used for treating appendicitis. It is a relatively safe procedure.
- Physical examination
- Blood test
- Urine test
- Imaging and testing
A person needs two to three weeks for recovery from an appendectomy. However, in case the appendix had burst, the person may require a longer time to recover.
The common imaging practices that are used for diagnosing and confirming appendicitis are CT or computed tomography scans, MRI and X-ray.