Knee Replacement Treatment & Diagnostics in Tardeo, Mumbai
Knee pain can affect your daily activities like walking, climbing stairs, sitting or standing up, or even lying down. Certain factors like age, health, knee injury or deformity, or conditions like gout, hemophilia, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis, can lead to extreme pain and deterioration of knee joints. Doctors recommend knee replacement surgery to relieve discomfort and restore function in severely damaged knees.
You can consult an orthopedic specialist in Tardeo for guidance on which treatment methods are best suited for you. Or you can search online for total knee replacement surgeons near me.
What Is Knee Replacement Surgery?
Knee replacement surgery or knee arthroplasty is a procedure that replaces an injured or distressing knee with an artificial joint, or prosthesis made of metal alloys, high-grade plastics, and polymers. The artificial joint is then affixed to the thigh bone, shin bone, and kneecap using acrylic cement. Before closing the incision, the surgeon will bend and rotate the knee, testing for proper movements.
What Are the Types of Knee Replacement Surgery?
There are mainly two types of knee replacement surgery - total knee replacement and partial knee replacement.
- Total knee replacement - Though there are no specified age criteria for total knee replacement surgery, people who undergo it are above the age of 50. The procedure involves about 8 to 10 inches cut in the front of the knee. After which the damaged part of the joint and the surfaces of the thigh bone and shin bone connecting the knee are removed. Lastly, the artificial knee is implanted.
- Partial knee replacement. Only one side of the joint is replaced through a minimally invasive procedure. It can replace either the middle part, the side part, or the knee cap. This surgery can be performed only if you have strong knee ligaments and cartilage. In this procedure, the surgeon will make a shorter cut, around 4 to 6 inches, minimizing damage to muscle and tendon.
There are many reputed surgeons and specialists for knee replacement surgery in Tardeo.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Tardeo, Mumbai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What Are the Risks Associated with Knee Replacement Surgery?
A few risks associated with knee replacement surgery include:
- Blood clots
- Nerve damage in the knee
- Heart attack
- Restriction of knee movement due to excessive bone or scar tissue formation around the artificial joint
Immediately reach out for medical help if you experience any of these symptoms:
- Worsening pain, tenderness, redness, and swelling in the knee
- Drainage from the operated site
- Fever over 100°F (37.8°C)
How Do You Prepare for Knee Replacement Surgery?
Before recommending knee replacement surgery, an orthopedic surgeon will examine your knee's range of mobility, stability, and strength. The surgeon might prescribe certain tests such as x-rays, MRIs, or blood tests to evaluate the level of damage. Your surgeon may take into consideration several factors like your medical history, age, weight, activity level, knee size and shape, and overall health while suggesting the appropriate surgery.
Inform your surgeon about any past anesthesia-related allergies. The surgeon will either administer general anesthesia or spinal anesthesia depending on your experience and preference. The surgery can last for one to two hours. You will be asked to not eat anything the night before your surgery.
After the surgery, you may be able to walk within a couple of days. Initially, you may need the help of crutches, a walker, or a cane. You may be prescribed pain control medications and blood thinners to prevent clotting. You may also have to wear a support hose or compression boots to prevent swelling. A physical therapist will make you practice some exercises to improve the mobility and resilience of the repaired knee.
Knee replacement surgery can help reduce pain and improve your quality of life. Consult knee replacement surgeons in Tardeo to discuss the benefits and risks before selecting the best suitable treatment for you.
Your surgeon might advise you to discontinue certain medications and nutritional supplements for a few days before your knee replacement surgery.
A risk of wear out of the artificial joint exists if you exert extreme pressure on the knee joint during exercising, high-impact activities, or lifting heavyweights. Also, if the kneecap dislocates, another surgery may be required to fix it back to its actual position.
If severe infection occurs in the knee replacement, the current artificial joint will be removed and discarded. Antibiotics are administered to kill the bacteria, and once the infection heals, the surgeon will conduct another knee replacement surgery.