Maxillofacial Surgery Treatment & Diagnostics in Tardeo, Mumbai
If you have any medical condition that affects the normal functioning of your teeth, jaws and facial bones or tissues and causes you pain, then you might need a maxillofacial surgery. The procedure can rectify deformities and give you relief from pain.
What do we need to know about maxillofacial surgery?
‘Maxillo’ in Latin means ‘jawbone’ and ‘facial’ of course involves the face. Therefore, maxillofacial surgery is a reconstructive procedure primarily for the face, head, mouth and jaw. This surgery is performed by a highly skilled and trained maxillofacial dental surgeon who specializes in the oral and maxillofacial region of your body, that is the mouth and all its connecting regions like teeth , jaws, bones and soft tissues of the face. This surgery is performed under general anesthesia.
This surgery is available at any plastic surgery hospital in Mumbai. Or you can search online for a plastic surgery doctor near me.
What are the major subspecialties of maxillofacial surgery?
Maxillofacial region is a very complex part of the body. Therefore, there are different specialized surgeons for different parts of the maxillofacial region:
Surgery of head and neck cancer: This requires specialization in tumor removal and reconstruction of the affected part along with specialization in micro vascular free tissue transfer.
- Craniofacial deformity surgery: Craniofacial deformity could be congenital or acquired. Surgeons are specialized to correct facial disfiguration.
- Oral and maxillofacial: Requires specialization in teeth surgery or implants, jaws, mandibular joints, facial glands and bones.
- Oral medicines: Require specialization in the diagnosis of a medical condition in the maxillofacial region and subsequent administration of medicines.
- Craniofacial trauma: Specialization in surgeries related to facial bones and soft facial tissues.
- Cosmetic surgery: Surgery performed to enhance facial aesthetics.
Who qualifies for this surgery?
Maxillofacial surgery is an advanced form of oral surgery. You require maxillofacial surgery for:
- tooth extractions
- dental implants
- gum surgery
- abnormality in the nasal cavity
- any facial trauma
- abnormal growths in the head, mouth and neck
- Cancerous tumor in the maxillofacial region
- Chronic facial pain
- Cleft in lip and palate
When do you need to see a doctor?
If you have any of the conditions listed above, please visit a maxillofacial surgeon.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Tardeo, Mumbai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the risks associated with a maxillofacial surgery?
These may include:
- Swelling of the face
- Mild bruising
- Permanent or temporary numbness of the lip, tongue and chin
- Bacterial or fungal infections
- Dry socket
Maxillofacial surgery is one of the emerging dental fields. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons can perform surgeries related to the field of oncology, plastic surgeries, craniofacial surgeries and microvascular surgery.
No, because all maxillofacial surgeons are also oral surgeons, but not all oral surgeons can be maxillofacial surgeons.
Three-dimensional radiographic techniques like computed tomography (CT scan) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) are used to obtain detailed visuals of the head and neck anatomy.
- It corrects the misalignment of the jaw and teeth
- Gives a balanced facial appearance
- Improves functions like chewing and swallowing
- Improves sleep and breathing
- No pain while speaking
- Boosts confidence, improves quality of life