Myomectomy for Fibroids Surgery in Tardeo, Mumbai
Tissue-like materials present in the uterus are called leiomyomas or fibroids. These fibroids may decrease your fertility level, and they must be removed as soon as possible.
About the topic
Gynaecology Myomectomy is a surgical procedure that is done to remove fibroids present in the uterus. These Fibroids are commonly seen in the uterus and mainly develop during the childbearing stages. This surgery is done to remove the fibroids present in the uterus. After completing this procedure, a patient is generally relieved from pain, uterine pressure, heavy bleeding during the menstrual cycle, and frequent urination.
Why is Myomectomy Performed?
If you face any of the following problems, then your doctor will advise you to perform a
- Myomectomy procedure.
- High menstrual bleeding
- Frequent urination
- Pelvic pressure or pain
- Difficulty in emptying the bladder
- Back pain and leg pain
A myomectomy procedure can be suggested by your doctor instead of a hysterectomy for the following reasons.
- If you want to remove your uteruses, a hysterectomy can be done. But if you’re going to keep your uteruses, then a Myomectomy procedure is preferred.
- Fibroids may also decrease your fertility, so if the doctor suspects that the fertility rate may reduce, he might go for a Myomectomy procedure.
- If you plan to bear a child shortly.
Fibroids are tumors that are made of smooth muscle and tissues. This kind of muscle develops in the uterus. It is found that almost 70 to 80 percent of women face this problem during their lifetime.
According to studies, cancerous fibroids are rare and uncommon. The fibroid size differs, and the growth rate also varies - they can be small or large. Whatever the size, timely and effective treatment provides immense relief to the patient.
Things to be followed before starting the procedure.
- The patient should not eat and drink anything starting from a few hours before the procedure as advised by the doctor or surgeon.
- If the patient takes any medicines in their day-to-day life, they must consult their doctor about the medication and modify them if the doctor suggests doing so.
The doctor will analyze the patient’s body and choose a type of anesthesia according to the procedure and physical fitness of the patient.
- General Anaesthesia- After applying anesthesia to your body, you will fall asleep for a certain period, and a tube will be placed in your throat. General anesthesia is mainly used for laparoscopic and abdominal myomectomy.
- Monitored anesthesia care (MAC) - This type of anesthesia is used for hysteroscopy myomectomy, and a tube will not be inserted inside the patient’s throat. After being subjected to this kind of anesthesia, the patient will not remember anything and fall asleep for hours.
Depending upon the size, location, and number of fibroids present in the patient’s body, the doctor will choose one kind of surgical method to Myomectomy.
- Abdominal myomectomy
- Laparoscopic myomectomy
- Hysteroscopy myomectomy
In an Abdominal myomectomy, the surgeon will make an abdominal incision to visualize and access the patient’s uteruses to remove fibroids. Usually, they will prefer to make a low horizontal incision because a vertical incision can be made only for large uteruses.
In Laparoscopic myomectomy, a small incision will be made near your stomach, and a laparoscope fitted with a camera will be inserted into your abdomen. Another small incision will be made to perform the surgery using instruments.
In Hysteroscopy myomectomy, a small tool will be inserted inside the vagina, and the surgeons use wire loops resectoscope to cut the tissues present near the fibroid. After cutting the tissues, the fibroid will be cut using a blade. A clear fluid is used to expand the patient’s uterine cavity to examine uterine walls. Some large fibroids cannot be removed in a single surgery, and in that case, a second surgery is required.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Tardeo, Mumbai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Risks in Myomectomy Procedure
- Excessive blood loss- Women with leiomyomas suffer from excessive blood loss, and because of that, they are advised to undergo surgery. This surgery will reduce the blood count further, so to increase the blood count, the patient has to take advice from a doctor, eat suitable food, and take some vitamin tablets prescribed by that particular doctor.
- Scar tissues- Incisions made in uteruses may cause some scar tissues after the procedure is completed.
- Chances for hysterectomy - In some cases, bleeding will be in excess during the procedure, and if it happens, surgeons will prefer to remove the uteruses (hysterectomy method).
Myomectomy is the surgical removal of fibroid in the uterus. You must contact your Myomectomy specialist if you observe any of the mentioned symptoms to save yourself from future complications.
No. You will not notice any differences and can participate in your sex life like earlier, even after completing the procedure.
No. You do not lose weight after a myomectomy. You just have to take some vitamin tablets and good food to maintain blood count.