Osteoarthritis Treatment & Diagnostics in Tardeo, Mumbai
When two bones meet together in a joint, they are separated by cartilage that acts as a cushion between them. Cartilage is a thick, rubbery material made of protein that is present in all joints of our body. When it wears away due to aging or some other causes, the ends of two bones rub with each other, causing pain and discomfort. This condition is medically termed osteoarthritis or, in short, OA. You need to visit a reputed ortho hospital near you to get some relief from this chronic problem.
What are the different types of osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis can affect different joints of the human body, based on which it is classified by doctors. The joints include:
- Elbow and wrist joints
- Shoulder joint
- Knee joints
- Finger joints
- Spine joints, mainly in the neck or lower back
- Hip joints
- Ankle joint
- Foot joints
What are the symptoms of osteoarthritis?
- Tremendous pain while moving the affected joint
- Stiffness of the joint after being at rest for sometime
- Loss of normal flexibility of the joint
- Swelling and tenderness at the joint and surrounding areas
- Inflammation and crackling sensation due to friction of bones
- Growth of bony lumps around the joint causing more pain
What are the causes of osteoarthritis?
The breakdown of the cartilage padding the joint between two bones is the main reason for osteoarthritis. Due to the absence of the firm cartilage, two ends of bones rub harshly against each other while moving that joint, causing all the above-mentioned symptoms. You will feel these symptoms when the cartilage starts degenerating. Acute osteoarthritis occurs due to the total absence of cartilage in a joint. Thus, surrounding muscles are in direct contact with the bones of that joint, causing more inflammation. So, you need to see the best ortho doctor near you for the treatment of this painful ailment.
When do you need to see a doctor?
When you feel the pain and stiffness of a joint continuously for several days, you need to visit an orthopedic specialist in Tardeo. If over-the-counter painkillers and heat or cold compress fail to provide your relief from this joint pain, you should not delay visiting an orthopedic doctor for proper treatment.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Tardeo, Mumbai.
Call 18605002244 to book an appointment.
What are the risk factors for osteoarthritis?
- Advancing age is the most common cause of osteoarthritis.
- Women are more prone to be affected by this problem.
- Overweight body exerts huge pressure on hip and knee joints. Also, excess fat can cause inflammation in joints.
- Accidental injuries in the joints may gradually lead to osteoarthritis.
- Too much use of a joint due to daily work or sports practice may degenerate the joint cartilage.
- Hereditary factors may play a role in causing osteoarthritis.
- Inborn defects in the bone structure can lead to osteoarthritis at a young age.
- Certain diseases, like diabetes or the presence of excess iron in the body, can lead to osteoarthritis.
How can osteoarthritis be treated?
- Some medicines, like acetaminophen, provide some relief to people suffering from mild osteoarthritis. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are usually prescribed to reduce the pain and inflammation of affected joints. Doctors decide on the strength of these medications according to the severity of osteoarthritis in their patients. Many doctors also prescribe the use of NSAID gel over the affected joints, as oral NSAIDs may cause some side effects.
- Regular physiotherapy helps in curing osteoarthritis to a great extent. Doctors also suggest walking or swimming as effective exercises to reduce the stiffness of joints. Occupational therapy under the guidance of a professional therapist is also useful in improving the condition of an osteoarthritis patient.
- Doctors may administer injections of corticosteroid or hyaluronic acid to the affected joints, to provide relief in cases of severe osteoarthritis.
- Replacement of some joints, like knee replacement, is the surgical procedure for curing extreme cases of osteoarthritis.
You need to visit the best orthopedic hospital in Tardeo to get relief from painful joints caused by osteoarthritis. This problem is different from rheumatoid arthritis, gout, or other joint pain. Thus, only a thorough medical checkup and treatment can help you get rid of this severe problem.
If osteoarthritis is left untreated, you may find it more difficult to move that affected joint. Thus, it will be difficult for you to do your regular work due to this painful and stiff joint. You may also find it tough to have sound sleep at night and suffer from mental depression because of this pain.
When you visit an ortho doctor near you, he/she will clinically check the condition of your affected joint to find its mobility and if there is redness or swelling. Then he/she may ask you to undergo an X-ray or MRI scan of your painful joint, to see the condition of the cartilage there. He/she may also recommend fluid analysis of that joint in a lab and some blood tests to rule out rheumatic arthritis or gout.
Heat or cold compress, application of topical capsaicin cream, and use of a walking cane or walker may help in providing some relief from the intense pain of osteoarthritis. The consumption of fish oil supplements and some other nutritional supplements may also help in this matter.