Endometriosis Treatment in Chembur, Mumbai
Endometriosis is a gynecological disorder in women, where the tissue similar to the lining of the uterus, also known as the endometrium layer, expands and grows outside the uterus.
Endometriosis is not a life-threatening disease, but it is painful and requires proper treatment. You can contact an endometriosis specialist in Mumbai for treatment.
What do we need to know about endometriosis?
Endometriosis occurs when the endometrium layer grows outside the uterus beyond the pelvic region. This layer sheds during periods and bleeds. The severity of the disease depends on the size, location and depth of the endometrial tissue. Pain does not give a clear idea about the severity. Some women have extreme pain but mild disorder or little pain and serious endometriosis. Cases of endometriosis are increasing in India, mainly because of lifestyle. You can get the best endometriosis treatment in Mumbai.
What are the symptoms of endometriosis?
- Pain in and around the pelvic region
- Pain in the lower abdomen
- Painful and irregular menstruation
- Heavy menstruation
- Blood in urine and stool
- Painful intercourse
- Pain during urination
- Severe cramps
- Lower back pain
- Irregular blood spotting
- Bloating and nausea
What causes endometriosis?
There can be multiple reasons for endometriosis such as:
- Immune System Disorder - sometimes the immune system fails to identify the overgrown endometrial tissue causing endometriosis.
- Retrograde menstruation - in such conditions, the menstruation blood with endometrial tissue goes back to the fallopian tube in the pelvic area. The backflow of blood sticks in the pelvic walls and organs. This blood thickens and bleeds in each menstruation cycle.
- C-section - during operations such as the C-section, there are chances of menstruation blood leaking into the pelvic cavity.
- Transportation of cells - the lymph system and the blood vessels can transport endometrial tissue to other body parts.
When do you need to see a doctor?
You must see a doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Early menarche in girls and early menopause in women
- Abnormalities and complications in the reproductive tract
- Inability to conceive
- Malnutrition and low body mass index
- Family history (usually from mother or a closed relative)
- An increased amount of estrogen
- Blood in stool
- Severe cramps during periods
- Heavy periods
- Ovary cyst
- Auto-immune disease
Endometriosis can be challenging, but there are effective remedies.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Chembur, Mumbai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the complications?
- Permanent inability to give birth - infertility is one of the major complications. Almost one-third of women suffering from endometriosis have difficulty in conceiving.
- Ovarian cancer - the chances of ovarian cancer increases with time and severity of the disease.
How is endometriosis treated?
The symptoms of endometriosis are similar to those of a lot of other diseases like diarrhoea and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), hence people tend to get confused. Proper treatment is required during the initial stages.
Here are a few treatment options:
- Medication - Pain medications are helpful in mild cases of endometriosis, but for long-term relief, you can go for other options.
- Contraceptives - Hormonal contraceptives are another way to cure mild endometriosis. Hormonal medicines like birth control pills reduce the chances of fertility. They hinder the monthly growth and buildup of the endometrial layer.
- Surgery - Surgery is often opted for by women who want to get pregnant and the hormonal treatments aren’t working for them. Laparoscopy is a type of surgery that is used to remove the endometrial layer. Hysterectomy is a rare type of operation wherein the entire cervix, ovaries and uterus are removed.
- GnRH Hormone - Gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists and antagonists are opted to inhibit estrogen production in the ovaries. This helps in preventing menstruation, thus creating artificial menopause.
- Hormonal therapy - Hormonal supplements regulate monthly hormonal changes.
Along with such treatments, it is also important to maintain a proper diet. And also:
- Reducing caffeine, alcohol and smoking
- Avoiding dairy and gluten
- Removing junk food from your diet
- Eating fruits and vegetables
There are more than one million cases of endometriosis in India every year. The disorder can last for a few years or for a lifetime. Early diagnosis can help treat endometriosis and better manage the symptoms.
A lot of people have opted for herbal medications, hypnosis and acupuncture, but they are not helpful in all cases.
The four stages are:
Endometriosis is painful because a patient is bleeding from inside as well as outside the uterus. When blood reaches these organs, it causes inflammation and irritation.