Minimally Invasive Knee Replacement Surgery in Chembur, Mumbai
Minimally invasive knee replacement surgery (MIKRS) is a type of surgery performed to replace a damaged or injured knee. It is called a minimally invasive surgery as a surgeon will make a smaller cut or incision than what is usually the norm in a traditional procedure.
What is MIKRS?
The knee is made of different parts - the lower end of the thigh bone, the upper part of the shin bone and the kneecap. These bones are covered with a smooth substance known as cartilage to prevent friction between them. If there's any damage to the joint, the bones may scrape against each other and cause pain.
Through minimally invasive surgery, your doctor will remove a part of the bone that is damaged by making a small cut. He/she will then replace it with metal components and recreate the knee joint.
To avail of the procedure, consult an orthopedic doctor near you or visit an orthopedic hospital near you.
Who qualifies for the procedure?
Generally, people with severe damage to the knee may show the following symptoms:
- Severe pain in the knee
- Inflammation and swelling
- Inability to walk or fold the knee
If you have undergone any trauma or injury and have any of the symptoms mentioned above, visit the best total knee replacement surgeon in Mumbai.
Other illnesses that may increase the risk of severely damaging your knee and require this surgery are:
- Rheumatoid arthritis: It is an auto-immune disease that affects the joints and bones in different parts of the body.
- Osteoarthritis: This condition usually occurs in people over the age of 60. It causes the 'wear and tear' of bones and leads to decreased strength and pain in the bones.
- Bone tumor in the knee: A lump on the knee joint that may be cancerous and cause severe pain in the joint.
- If you suffer from any of the above conditions, your doctor may ask you to undergo an MIKR surgery.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Chembur, Mumbai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Why is the procedure conducted?
Severe pain: If there is severe pain or aching in the knee joint due to arthritis or any other medical condition, you may require surgery to replace it.
Breaking of knee joint: If the bones in the knee have broken due to an injury or trauma, you may need to replace them.
Inflammation of the cartilage in the knee: Severe arthritis may cause inflammation in the cartilage or tendons in the knee. In such cases, knee replacement may be required to restore full mobility.
What are the benefits of minimally invasive knee replacement surgery ?
The benefits of MIKR surgery are as follows:
- Restores complete mobility in the knee joint
- Relieves pain
- Less damage to the bones and surrounding soft tissues during surgery
- Smaller scars
- Allows you to resume your daily activities without any complications
What are the risks?
- Bacterial Infection in the knee joint after replacement
- Damage to the nearby nerves during surgery
- Bleeding or clots
- Limited motion of the knee
- Chronic pain
- Loosening of the components of the replaced knee
- Muscle spasms or damage
Consult the best total knee replacement surgeon in Mumbai to ensure hassle-free MIKR surgery.
Minimally invasive knee replacement surgery is one of the most commonly performed surgical procedures. It is the best surgical method to treat and replace the knee joint. It is also safe and rarely leads to any complications. Consult your total knee replacement surgeon in Mumbai if you have any doubts before the surgery and go for checkups regularly after the surgery to ensure proper recovery.
The recovery time for MIKR surgery may vary from person to person. It generally takes 3 to 4 months for complete recovery and may need physical or occupational therapy to restore mobility.
The following precautions should be taken after MIKR surgery:
- Take medications on time
- Ensure that your incision site remains clean
- Continue physical therapy
- Don't apply pressure on the area
Visit the best total knee replacement surgery hospital in Mumbai for a check-up.
It may take anywhere from 3 months to 4 months for your joint to completely heal after replacement. Until then do not walk or apply pressure on that area while doing an activity. Visit the best total knee replacement surgery hospital in Mumbaifor more information.