Kidney Stone Treatment & Diagnostics in Chembur, Mumbai
Kidneys are the filtration unit of the body. Their main function is to filter blood and remove waste products and excess fluid from the body in the form of urine. This urine contains minerals and salts. When the body is devoid of fluid, these minerals and salts get accumulated in your kidneys, forming kidney stones. Kidney stone is the most common problem of the urinary system. Visit a kidney stone hospital near you that has the best kidney stone doctors to get treatment.
What are Kidney Stones?
Kidney stones/renal stones/nephrolithiasis/renal calculi are solid masses made of crystallized minerals and salts. Kidney stones are formed in the kidney but can be seen in other excretory parts, like the ureter and the urinary bladder. These kidney stones block the urine flow from the kidney, thereby causing pain.
Types of Kidney Stones:
The type of kidney stones is determined by the crystal content of these stones.
- Calcium- These are the most common kidney stones. They chiefly contain calcium oxalate crystals and sometimes calcium phosphate or maleate. These constituents are mainly found in spinach, peanuts, potato chips, and beetroot.
- Uric acid- This is more common in men than women. It is seen in people with Gout or those undergoing chemotherapy treatment. The reason for these stones is the highly acidic nature of the urine, leading to the formation of uric acid crystals.
- Struvite- This is commonly seen in females with urinary tract infections. Thus, the cause is an underlying infection.
- Cystine- It is seen in people with the genetic disorder, Cystinuria, where there is excessive excretion of cystine through the urine, leading to the formation of cystine crystals.
Signs and Symptoms of Kidney Stones:
The signs and symptoms of kidney stones may not show up until the stones reach the ureter, causing severe pain radiating towards the groin in males. The other pronounced signs and symptoms are:
- Blood in the urine.
- Fever with chills.
- The frequent urge to urinate.
- Reduced urine while urinating.
The signs and symptoms also depend on the size of the kidney stone. People with smaller stones usually do not present with any signs and symptoms. Such stones may be expelled from the body through urine.
Causes and Risk Factors of Kidney Stones:
The prevalence of kidney stones is higher in men than women. The causes and risks associated with the formation of kidney stones are:
- Less intake of water/dehydration.
- Intake of a diet containing a high amount of proteins, minerals, salts, or sugar.
- Polycystic kidney diseases.
- Gastric bypass surgery.
- Inflammatory bowel diseases, causing retention of calcium in the urine.
- Medications including diuretics, antiepileptic drugs, calcium-based antacids.
When to See a Doctor?
Consult your doctor immediately if you experience severe pain in the back or the lower back region or other kidney problems like pain while urinating or blood in the urine. Apollo Spectra Hospital in Mumbai is the best kidney stone hospital with experienced doctors. Get your kidney stone treatment in Mumbai at the hands of the best kidney stone specialists in Chembur.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Chembur, Mumbai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
If you have any of the above symptoms, contact the kidney stone hospital in Chembur and get kidney stone treatment under the guidance of experienced kidney stone doctors.
Prevention of Kidney Stones:
Kidney stones can be prevented by:
- Drinking plenty of water (sufficient enough to pass 2 liters of urine a day).
- Reducing the intake of oxalate-rich foods.
- Reducing the intake of salts and animal proteins.
- The medications prescribed by your doctor need to be followed regularly.
- Do not limit your calcium intake unless advised by your doctor, as calcium does not affect kidney stones.
Home Remedies for Kidney Stone:
- You can adopt these home remedies to reduce the chances of kidney stone formation. If you already have stones, it may help reduce their severity.
- Stay hydrated.
- You can opt for lime juice or basil juice instead of just plain water. Staying hydrated is the key; the source can be anything.
- Apple cider vinegar is beneficial in dissolving kidney stones.
- Pomegranate juice helps in flushing out kidney stones and other toxins from the body.
Treatment of Kidney Stone:
The doctor decides whether you need medical therapy or another approach to help pass the kidney stone.
- Wait for the stone to be excreted by itself.
- Medication- The medication usually prescribed by doctors relaxes the ureters so that the stones can pass easily.
- Surgery- If the stone does not pass through the urine, this is the last option. It includes:
- Shock Wave Lithotripsy
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy
The formation of kidney stones can be prevented by drinking plenty of water and reducing the intake of foods containing oxalate. Smaller kidney stones are excreted from the urine. However, larger stones need medical attention. Consult your doctor immediately if you experience severe back pain or blood in the urine.
The diagnostic tests include:
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Imaging tests like ultrasonography, high-speed or dual-energy computerized tomography.
If the kidney stones are not excreted through the urine, their size can increase and affect the kidney’s functioning. The recurrence of kidney stones can damage the kidney or cause serious infections.
In Shock Wave Lithotripsy, X-rays or ultrasonic waves are used to locate kidney stones. The machine then sends down energy waves that break the stones into smaller pieces, which are then excreted or passed through the urine.