Knee Replacement Treatment & Diagnostics in Chembur, Mumbai
What Is Knee Replacement?
Knee replacement is a surgical procedure in which a doctor tries to fix your damaged knee joints to help restore their function and relieve you from pain.
The process involves implanting prosthetics (artificial joints) made up of polymers, high-quality plastic, and metal alloys while replacing the damaged cartilage and bone from your kneecap, shin, and thighbone.
If you have experienced a critical knee injury or have arthritis, you may consult total knee replacement surgeons in Chembur, Mumbai. Just type 'total knee replacement surgeons near me' to find the list of 'total knee replacement surgeons in Chembur, Mumbai.’
About Knee Replacement Surgery
Different types of arthritis (a bone condition) can impact your knee joints, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and traumatic arthritis, among others.
In a knee replacement surgery, also known as total knee replacement or knee arthroplasty, your surgeon follows the given procedures to help you feel better:
- Removal of the damaged bones and cartilages at the ends of the tibia and femur.
- Replacement of the removed portions with metal parts to help fix the joints. The doctor is likely to press-fit or cement the metal components into your bones.
- Cutting and repairing the surface under your kneecap with a plastic component and inserting a medical-class plastic spacer between the metal parts to ensure a smooth surface.
What Are The Different Types Of Knee Replacement Surgery?
Mainly, there are four types of knee replacement surgery. It includes the following:
- Total knee replacement
- Partial or unicompartmental knee replacement
- Patellofemoral arthroplasty or kneecap replacement
- Revision or complex knee replacement
What Symptoms Indicate That You May Need Knee Replacement?
The symptoms that indicate that you may need knee replacement include:
- Severe stiffness and pain in the knees, limiting your day to day activities, such as climbing stairs, sitting and getting off the chair, and walking
- High-intensity pain needing you to walk using a walker or cane
- Severe or light pain while sleeping and resting
- Swelling in the knee that does not go away even after taking medications and rest
- No or negligible improvement even after taking cortisone and lubricating injections, anti-inflammatory medicines, and physical therapies
- Knee deformity
When Should You Consult A Doctor?
If you experience any of the signs and symptoms mentioned above, consult your doctor at the earliest. You will find many total knee replacement surgeons in Chembur, Mumbai. Look for the best by searching for total knee replacement surgeons near me.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Chembur, Mumbai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
How To Prepare For Knee Replacement?
Here is how to prepare for knee replacement:
- Your surgeon is more likely to ask you to make some necessary changes in your routine, including stopping some dietary supplements or medications (if you have been taking them) before the surgery.
- Your doctor or medical team is likely to advise you not to have food after midnight or a couple of hours before your surgery.
- Avoid wearing body-hugging clothing. Wear loose-fitting and relaxed outfits to the hospital instead.
- Make sure that you have someone help you with your daily activities at your home post-surgery.
What Are The Benefits Of Knee Replacement?
The benefits of a knee replacement include the following:
- It can help alleviate the pain and discomfort you experience while standing, walking, running, and sitting or resting.
- It can help improve your mobility and strength.
- Knee replacement is an effective and safe surgical procedure with high success rates.
- It also enhances the overall quality of life.
What Are The Possible Complications of Knee Replacement?
Some of the complications associated with a knee replacement surgery include:
- Formation of blood clots in the lungs or leg vein
- Nerve damage
- Heart attack
- Regular wear and tear
Knee replacement can significantly improve the quality of life while reducing pain and improving mobility. Also, this surgical process is safe and effective. If you are seeking proper treatment, search for total knee replacement surgery near me. Facilities offering total knee replacement surgery in Chembur, Mumbai are many. Do your homework and find the best.
A successful knee replacement surgery is irrelevant of when you consider getting it. The reason why doctors recommend it is to help you get rid of the pain and discomfort. However, surgery is the last resort and suggested only when other non-surgical methods, diet, and lifestyle modifications fail to help you.
Surgery-related pain might persist for around a couple of weeks after a total knee replacement. Also, the swelling is likely to stay for up to 2 to 3 weeks post-surgery.
In most cases, fractures and injuries involving knee replacements are due to accidents, including direct blows and falls.