Endoscopic Bariatric Surgery Treatment & Diagnostics in Chembur, Mumbai
Endoscopic Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric endoscopic surgery is one of the most effective treatment choices for obesity management. This endoscopic surgery is gaining popularity because of its favorable safety profile and for being cost-effective.
For availing of this surgery, you can visit any of the bariatric surgery hospitals in Mumbai. Alternatively, you can also search online for a bariatric surgeon near me.
What is endoscopic bariatric surgery?
Bariatric endoscopy surgery is a treatment option for weight loss in obese patients. The surgery performed via the gastrointestinal tract involves removing a part of the stomach. That means restricting the stomach to eating only a small portion of a meal, thereby decreasing the amount of calories absorbed.
What conditions lead to this surgery? What are the criteria?
There are some specific criteria to be met before considering the endoscopic treatment:
- If your body weight is 45kg or more above ideal weight
- Body mass index or BMI > 40 or a BMI >35
- If you have any health-related complications because of obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, gallbladder disease, heart disease
- A history of weight loss management
- If there is no sign of alcoholism or drug addiction
- If you are prepared to adapt to healthy lifestyle changes, regular medical follow-ups and counseling
What are the types of endoscopic bariatric surgery?
There are different types of endoscopic bariatric surgical procedures:
- Restrictive Endoscopic/Space-Occupying weight-loss procedures
- Fluid-Filled intragastric balloons
- Silimed gastric balloon
- Medsil intragastric balloon
- Reshape Dual
- Air/Gas-Filled intragastric balloons
- Heliosphere BAG balloon
- Obalon gastric balloon
- TransPyloric Shuttle
- Gastric electric stimulation
- Suturing/Stapling procedures
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty
- Endocinch restore suturing system
- TOGA system
- Fluid-Filled intragastric balloons
- Malabsorptive Endoscopic weight-loss procedures
- Gastrointestinal bypass sleeve (Endobarrier)
- Gastroduodenojejunal bypass sleeve (ValenTx)
- Other Endoscopic weight-loss procedures
- Gastric aspiration therapy/aspire assist
- Intragastric botulinum toxin injections
- Duodenal mucosal resurfacing
- Incisionless magnetic anastomosis system
When do you need to see a doctor?
If you have a BMI over 35 and suffer from obesity-related issues, consult a doctor.
Bariatric surgeons in Mumbai perform some pre-operative screening to determine that there are no medical issues that hinder surgery. Apart from some medical tests, you will be assessed for weight, dieting history, and current psychological conditions.
Some of the medical tests include:
- Abdominal ultrasound
- Liver function tests
- Gastrointestinal evaluation
- Sleep study
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Chembur, Mumbai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the benefits of endoscopic bariatric surgery?
- Improved cardiovascular health
- Relief from depression
- Reduced risk of type 2 diabetes and cancer
- Averting obstructive sleep apnea
- Joint pain relief
- Improved fertility
- Improved quality of life
What are the complications associated with endoscopic surgery?
- Vomiting and dumping syndrome
- Abdominal pain
- Weight regain
- Inadequate weight loss
- Other gastrointestinal conditions like achalasia, gastroparesis and cholelithiasis
Bariatric endoscopic surgery is performed only for extremely obese patients to improve comorbidities associated with obesity, such as diabetes, sleep apnea and heart diseases.
After surgery, protein plays a vital role in the healing process and in losing weight. As you do not get the required quantity through food, incorporate protein in your diet through high-protein drinks with low-fat, protein powders. It is equally essential to take vitamins and mineral supplements.
Yes, it is possible to get pregnant. All you have to do is to wait until your weight gets stabilized. Wait for 12 to 18 months post-surgery before trying for pregnancy.
The weight you lose depends on the type of procedure you have undergone and each individual’s progress. On average, we expect it to be about 30%-40%, and it can be up to 70-80% of your excess weight. But you have to stick to lifestyle changes to maintain a healthy weight.