Shoulder Replacement Surgery in Chembur, Mumbai
Shoulder replacement is a corrective surgical procedure in which the doctor replaces the original glenohumeral joint (ball-and-socket joint) of the shoulder with a similar-looking prosthetic implant. The principal purpose of this surgery is to help you get relief from arthritis pain or correct any severe physical damage to the joint.
If you are looking for a good shoulder arthroscopy surgeon in Chembur, Mumbai, you can search online for ‘shoulder arthroscopy surgery near me.’
More About Shoulder Replacement Surgery
Also known as traditional shoulder arthroplasty, shoulder replacement is the gold standard for treating severe osteoarthritis (shoulder). As many as 53,000 people in the US undergo shoulder replacement every year.
What Are the Different Types of Shoulder Replacement Surgeries?
There are several types of shoulder replacement surgeries, including the following:
- Traditional shoulder arthroplasty (total shoulder replacement)
- Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty (reverse shoulder replacement)
- Stemmed hemiarthroplasty (partial shoulder replacement)
- Resurfacing hemiarthroplasty (shoulder resurfacing)
What Symptoms Indicate That You Might Need Shoulder Replacement Surgery?
Here are the key symptoms that indicate you might need shoulder replacement:
- Weakness in your shoulder movements
- Loss of shoulder movement
- Severe shoulder pain limiting everyday tasks
- Pain in the shoulder even when you are sleeping or resting
- Negligible or no improvement with conservative treatments, including physical therapy, injections, and medications
What Causes the Need to Get a Shoulder Replacement?
Some health conditions that are likely to call for a shoulder replacement surgery include the following:
- Osteoarthritis: A condition in which the cartilage surrounding your bones wears away with age.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: It is an autoimmune health condition that leads to pain.
- A broken shoulder joint: It is when your shoulder joint is damaged beyond repair.
- Avascular necrosis: It is a condition where your bone tissue dies due to loss of blood.
- A fractured shoulder: A severe case of shoulder fracture may require you to undergo shoulder replacement surgery.
When Should You Seek Medical Assistance?
If you experience severe pain in your shoulder or any health condition mentioned above and you have tried all conservative and typical treatments, but nothing helped, you need to see your doctor as soon as possible. Can’t figure out where to go? Look online for ‘shoulder arthroscopy surgery near me.’
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Chembur, Mumbai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
How to Prepare for Shoulder Replacement Surgery?
Here is how to prepare for a shoulder replacement surgery:
Your doctor is likely to suggest a complete physical examination to evaluate if you are fit for the surgery or not.
- If you have been taking any medications, such as NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and blood thinners, or undergoing arthritis treatments, inform your doctor before your shoulder arthroscopy surgery in Chembur, Mumbai. Some of these medicines or therapies can lead to excessive bleeding during surgery. So, your doctor may ask you to stop taking those.
- Make sure to wear a relaxed and loose-fitting outfit on the day of your surgery.
- Depending on your condition, you might need 2 to 3 days of hospitalization post-surgery.
You are likely to need assistance for a minimum of 6-weeks after your surgery. So, make sure to get someone to help you.
What Are the Benefits of Shoulder Replacement?
Undergoing a shoulder arthroscopy surgery at Apollo Hospitals, Chembur, Mumbai, has the following benefits:
- The success rate of this surgery is high when it comes to restoring mobility and shoulder strength while reducing pain in end-stage arthritis (shoulder) or after an accident leading to shoulder fracture.
- In around 95% of cases, people can function pain-free after one year of surgery.
- A majority of people are likely to get back to normal and perform physical activities, such as swimming, yoga, tennis, driving, etc., that they failed to do before surgery.
What Are the Possible Complications Associated With Shoulder Replacement?
Although the rate of complications associated with this procedure is less than 5%, like any other surgical process, shoulder replacement might carry the following complications:
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia
- Damage to blood vessels and nerve
- Torn rotator cuff
- Dislocation or loosening of the replacement parts
Shoulder replacement is an effective and safe surgical procedure that helps you reduce pain while improving the range of shoulder mobility and strength. If you are looking for a doctor to get shoulder arthroscopy surgery in Chembur, Mumbai, you can look up ‘shoulder arthroscopy surgeon near me’ online.
How long a typical shoulder implant lasts varies from one person to another depending on various factors, including health condition (if any), age, activity level, weight. As prosthetic implants are medical equipment, these are likely to undergo wear and tear. However, if you follow the instructions, you can enhance the longevity of the implant.
The surgery would take around 1.5 to 2 hours, followed by a hospital stay of about 1 to 3 days. The surgery is followed by a rehabilitation period of nearly 12 months (depending on your condition). During this phase, you will have to exercise at home to ensure mobility and strength.
The doctor will make about a 3-inches cut on the front part of your shoulder to access the shoulder joint.