Gallstones Treatment & Diagnostics in Sadashiv Peth, Pune
Gallstones are stone-like objects made of bilirubin or cholesterol, that can develop in the gallbladder. These stones are painful and can cause other complications. Gallstones can be of various sizes ranging from a tiny grain of sand to a golf ball. It is often the case that small gallstones cause the most trouble since they can move and get stuck elsewhere. In many cases, it so happens that people who have gallstones do not realize that they have it and they cause no trouble.
What causes gallstones?
Gallstones can form due to many reasons such as –
- A high concentration of cholesterol or bilirubin in the bile
- Blood disorders
- Liver cirrhosis
- Rapid weight loss
- Lazy gallbladder that does not empty itself of bile
Symptoms of gallstones
Depending upon the size of gallstones, one might experience various symptoms such as –
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pain in the upper mid or right abdomen
- Chest pain
- Pain in the right shoulder
Usually, people with gallstones most commonly experience pain that lasts anywhere between fifteen minutes and several hours. These episodes are repetitive and painful. In other cases, people have gallstones that are not causing any symptoms, known as silent stones. These gallstones do not require any treatment.
If you have experienced any of these symptoms and are looking for a gallbladder specialist in Pune, then Apollo Spectra is the best option for gallbladder pain and gallbladder stones. At Apollo Spectra, we have a team of the best gallbladder surgeons in Pune.
Your doctor at Apollo Spectra will perform an abdominal ultrasound to look for signs of gallstones. If stones are missed on this test, your doctor might also perform an endoscopic ultrasound or other imaging tests. This can help identify smaller stones. Apart from that, a blood test could be conducted to examine for any infections, pancreatitis or jaundice caused by gallstones.
People with silent stones would not require any treatment. The best doctors for gall bladder stone treatment in Pune are available at Apollo Spectra. After looking at the symptoms and diagnosis, a treatment plan specific to each individual is devised by the specialists. Various treatment options for gallstones include –
- Medication – Your doctor might prescribe certain medication to you that would help dissolve the gallstones. However, there is a chance that once this treatment is stopped, gallstones will recur. It is also a long-term course of treatment and might take months or years for dissolution. This treatment option would only be recommended for patients who cannot undergo surgery.
- Cholecystectomy – Gallbladder removal surgery, also known as cholecystectomy, may be performed. After removal of the gallbladder, the bile directly flows into the small intestine from the liver, instead of being stored in the gallbladder. This procedure is minimally invasive as it is performed laparoscopically. Instead of one large scar, several small incisions are made. Through one of these incisions, a laparoscope is inserted, and the gallbladder is removed through another incision.
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP procedure) – This is another minimally invasive procedure performed to remove gallstones. During this procedure, the surgeon inserts an endoscope into your mouth down the throat and into the stomach. From there, it is inserted into the duodenum and the blockages in the bile duct are removed.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Pune
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
How to prevent gallstones?
There is no certain way to prevent gallstones from occurring, but one can follow healthy lifestyles to decrease the risk factors. It is essential to maintain the ideal body weight, exercise and consume a well-balanced diet to ensure that the level of cholesterol in the body is maintained. If you have had gallstones in the past, then you should try to avoid eating fatty foods such as meat or fried foods. Instead, you should add whole grains, fish, and low-fat dairy products along with fruits and vegetables to your diet. This can help limit high cholesterol levels and in turn, gallstones.
Gallstones can occur due to various lifestyle risk factors such as obesity, diabetes, rapid weight loss and cholesterol-high diet; uncontrollable risk factor such as having a family history of gallstones or being 60 years or above; and medical risk factors such as pregnancy, liver cirrhosis, and consumption of cholesterol-lowering medication.
Before your gallbladder removal surgery, you should list down all the medications and supplements that you are taking and provide them to your surgeon. You should also follow any pre-surgery restrictions that have been instructed to you by your surgeon.
If you undergo a cholecystectomy procedure without any complications, you may be able to go home within 24 hours of the surgery. If any complications such as infection or swelling of the gallbladder arise, then you might have to undergo an open cholecystectomy. After that procedure, you would have to stay at the hospital for three to five days.