Hernia Surgery in Sadashiv Peth, Pune
When an internal organ protrudes through a point of weak muscle or tissue, it leads to a hernia. There are many types of hernia and it is important to treat them as soon as possible. The only successful way to fully treat hernia is through surgery, so the sooner it is done, the better you will get the results. If left untreated, the hernia can grow larger and lead to complications like incarceration and strangulation in the intestines which can be deadly. Most hernias occur in the abdomen and area between the chest and hips. A hernia can be seen as a noticeable lump that is painful.
What is a hernia?
A hernia is caused when an organ protrudes through the muscles or tissues containing them or over them. This happens in the spot of weak muscles or tissues. The common types of hernia are as follows:
- Inguinal hernia: the passageway for the spermatic cord and blood vessels leading to testicles is called the inguinal canal in men. In women, the inguinal canal holds the round ligament that supports the womb. An inguinal hernia, some fatty tissues or part of the intestine protrude at the top of the inner thigh into the groin. This type of hernia is common in men.
- Femoral hernia: this usually affects older women. Some fatty tissues or part of the intestine pokes into the groin. This occurs at the top of the inner thigh.
- Umbilical hernia: when the fatty tissues or part of the intestine protrudes in the abdomen near the navel, it is termed as umbilical hernia.
- Hiatal hernia: In this, part of the stomach pushes into the chest cavity through the diaphragm.
The other less common types of hernia include incisional hernia, epigastric hernia, Spigelian hernia, and diaphragmatic hernia. 75-80% of all the hernias that occur are inguinal or femoral.
What causes a hernia?
Weakened muscles that miht be present since birth or might be associated with strain in the groin or abdomen area lead to an inguinal and femoral hernia. The strain can be caused due to the following reasons:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD) or chronic and severe coughing
- Straining on the toilet during constipation
- Lifting heavy weights or strenuous exercises
- Being overweight or obese
Muscle weakness can also occur due to damage from an injury or surgery. Pregnancy, especially multiple pregnancies can also weaken your muscles. Hernia can also be associated with aging. The cause of hiatal hernia is not known completely but a strain on the diaphragm or abdomen can lead to hiatal hernia.
What are the symptoms of a hernia?
A hernia leads to a lump that can be pushed back in or can disappear when lying down. Activities like laughing, coughing, straining during bowel movements, crying, etc can make the lump reappear. The symptoms of a hernia are as follows:
- Lump or bulge in the groin or scrotum
- Increase in the size of the bulge over time
- Increased pain at the affected area
- Heartburn, chest pain, and trouble swallowing in case of hiatal hernia
- A dull aching sensation
When to see a doctor?
If you face any of the symptoms, contact a doctor immediately. The hernia should not be left untreated as it can grow into severe complications. This will be extremely painful. Surgery is considered the most effective treatment option. The earlier the surgery is performed, the more effective are the results.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Pune
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
How to treat hernia?
Surgery is the only way to treat a hernia. It should not be left untreated. Based on your needs, the type of surgery is decided by your doctor. One of the following three types of surgery is performed to treat hernia:
- Open surgery: A cut is made at the affected area and the protruding tissue is set back in place. The weakened muscle is stitched back together.
- Laparoscopic surgery: tiny incisions are made to insert laparoscopic tools and the same procedure is followed as open surgery.
- Robotic hernia repair: your surgeon will control the surgical operations through a console from an operating room. This is useful for a smaller hernia.
A hernia occurs when an organ protrudes through the muscles or tissues holding or covering them and is visible as a lump. It can get severe with time leading to deadly complications. The best possible way to treat hernia is through surgery and it is advisable to perform the surgery as early as possible since it grows over time.
Usually, it is visible and a physical examination is performed to diagnose a hernia. In some cases, a CT scan or soft-tissues imaging can be performed to diagnose your condition accurately.
You will be given dietary instructions by your doctor. The hernia can recur depending on inherent factors like muscle weakness. Smoking and obesity are risk factors that lead to hernias. You must maintain healthy body weight and eat fiber-rich foods to prevent constipation.