Ligament Tear Treatment in Karol Bagh, Delhi
Ligaments are fibrous bands of tissues that connect bones to cartilage and one bone to another. They strengthen and support the joints. Due to direct injury and immense pressure, the ligaments can get torn. For such injuries, visit an orthopaedic specialist near you.
What is ligament tear?
When the ligaments are strained to a great extent, it leads to ligament tears. These tears are a result of injury due to high-impact activity, sudden fall, trauma, etc. People who are involved in sports are more susceptible to these injuries.
What are the types of ligament tears?
- Knee - lateral collateral ligament, anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament are the four main types of knee ligament, which are more prone to injury.
- Back - the ligaments in the back often tear because of lifting heavy weights and intense stretching.
- Ankle - ankle tears are the most common type of ligament tears. The posterior talofibular and anterior talofibular are more likely to get injured. These injuries are seen in everyday life as well as in sporting activities.
- Wrist - wrist ligament tears occur because of stretching and falling. There are approximately 20 ligaments in the wrist and triangular fibrocartilage cartilage injury is the most common.
Ligament tears are also seen in the neck and thumbs.
What are the symptoms?
If you have a ligament tear, you might have the following symptoms:
- Muscle spasm
- Soreness and pain
- Decreased range of motion
- Difficulty in movement
- Mild spraining
The symptoms of ligament tear depend on the severity. If there are mild tears, you won’t suffer from major pain.
What causes ligament tear?
Ligament tears are seen more often in athletes and people who engage in rigorous physical exercises. During these activities, the joints are in action and undergo a lot of stress. The other common causes of a ligament tear are sudden twists, fall, etc.
When do you need to see a doctor?
Untreated ligament tears get worse with time. It might start as a swelling but can later turn into full ruptures. Make sure that you visit a doctor within a day if the pain, stiffness and swelling are not reducing.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Karol Bagh, New Delhi.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the complications?
The common complications of a ligament tear are:
- Swelling in the outer joints
- Difficulty in performing day-to-day chores
- Trouble in doing simple exercises like jogging, stretching, walking, etc.
How are ligament tears treated?
X-ray and MRI are used for diagnosing ligament tears. The initial treatment follows the RICE protocol.
- Rest - restrict yourself from performing any physical activity and allow the injured part to rest.
- Ice - ice provides short-term relief from pain.
- Compression - wrapping the injured area helps in reducing swelling.
- Elevation - elevating the injured area controls the blood flow and reduces swelling.
Physical therapy and exercises help in strengthening muscles around a ligament tear. Your doctor will advise you on medicines for pain relief and swelling. Surgery is the last option. It depends on the intensity of the damage and pain.
Ligament tears are very common. They are flexible and strong tissues but due to severe injury, there can be wear and tear in the ligaments. Visit the best ortho doctor near you for treatment.
If first aid for ligament tear is given on time, it will reduce the intensity of the damage. You must apply ice on the affected area followed by wrapping it for immediate relief. The injured area should be kept elevated for some time.
Minor tears do not require extensive medical care and attention, but extreme cases need proper treatment. It can affect your ability to walk and perform basic activities.
Injured ligaments can take around two to three weeks or even a month for complete recovery. You can accelerate the healing process by:
- Improving the blood flow
- Using heat pads, ice, etc.
- Taking medicines and supplements on time
- Increased hydration