Rotator Cuff Repair Treatment & Diagnostics in Karol Bagh, Delhi
Rotator Cuff Repair
Overview of Rotator Cuff Repair
The rotator cuff is the group of voluntary muscles and tendons connecting the humerus or upper arm bone to the shoulder blade. The supraspinatus, infraspinatus, subscapularis, and teres minor are the four muscles of the rotator cuff that hold the humerus bone within the socket of the shoulder bone. These muscles are connected by tendons to the bones, which contribute to the free movement of upper arms. Thus, any damage to these tendons needs to be repaired in an ortho hospital near you.
About Rotator Cuff Repair
Rotator cuff repair is a surgical process, which is needed to mend the torn-off tendons that hold the muscles connecting your upper arm to the shoulder joint. Hence, it should be conducted by the best orthopedic surgeon in Karol Bagh, to ensure the success of this surgery.
The doctor will administer general anesthesia to keep you unconscious during the surgery. The size of the incision made for this surgery depends on the condition of the tendons of the shoulder joint.
The torn-off tendons are reattached to the shoulder bone with the help of suture anchors made of metal or dissolvable material. The stitches are joined to these anchors, to keep the repaired tendons in the right place. Finally, the incision is stitched and covered with a dressing, to heal the wound very fast.
Who qualifies for Rotator Cuff Surgery?
Every shoulder injury does not require surgery for rotator cuff repair. Usually, doctors suggest ice compression, rest of the hand, and some exercises to cure the pain. However, the orthopedic surgeon near you may suggest rotator cuff repair surgery for the following reasons.
- The acute shoulder pain continues for more than 6 months despite physiotherapy and all other basic treatments.
- Your shoulder joint feels much weaker than before, hampering the regular work that needs to be done with the hand.
- You need to use your affected hand and the shoulder very frequently for job purposes or to do household chores, which now may seem difficult after a recent injury on your shoulder.
- Athletes need to move their limbs and joints too frequently and vigorously, which may cause more pain in the shoulder.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Karol Bagh, New Delhi
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment
Why is Rotator Cuff Surgery conducted?
Rotator cuff repair surgery is essential to get rid of the tremendous pain caused by the torn-off tendons. This situation may worsen due to the deposit of calcium crystals over the shoulder joint. If a partially torn tendon is left untreated for long, it may tear off fully. This situation may lead to bursitis where a fluid-filled sac called the bursa turns inflamed due to this injury.
Different types of Rotator Cuff Surgeries
- Open repair surgery is done by making a large incision on the shoulder, through which a large deltoid muscle is detached to expose the interior space. Then all the problems in the shoulder region are solved by the surgeon and the recovery period is longer than the other two varieties of this surgery.
- All-arthroscopic repair is conducted by making a tiny incision through which an arthroscope fitted with a camera is inserted into the shoulder region. Thus, the surgeon can have a clear view of the bones, muscles, and tendons of this joint. Then a few more tiny incisions are made to insert other medical instruments for repairing the torn tendons and reattach to the humerus bone.
- Mini-open repair needs to make a small incision of 3 – 5 cm only, to insert the arthroscope to take images of the muscles and tendons of the shoulder joint. Then other modern technological tools are inserted to repair the damaged parts, by looking directly into the shoulder.
Benefits of Rotator Cuff Surgery
The acute pain in the shoulder can be cured by rotator cuff repair surgery, along with the weakness in the shoulder joint caused due to torn tendons. When there is a large tear in a tendon, surgery is the safest option to cure this problem without letting it get worse.
Complications related to Rotator Cuff Surgery
- The nerve of your shoulder that stimulates the deltoid muscle may be injured during the rotator cuff repair surgery.
- Infection may occur during the surgery, which can be minimized by applying antibiotics.
- You may experience stiffness in the shoulder joint even after the surgery, which can be cured by physiotherapy.
- Repaired tendons may tear off again, causing mild pain in your shoulder.
Your orthopedic surgeon in Delhi will conduct a clinical test to understand the degree of your shoulder pain. Then he will recommend an x-ray of the shoulder joint, MRI scan, or ultrasound to decide whether the surgery is needed.
You need to stay for a night in the hospital under medical observation if you undergo open repair surgery. If you undergo arthroscopic or mini-open repair surgery, you may be released from the hospital on the same day.
You need to rest for 4 – 6 weeks before returning to your normal life after this orthopedic surgery. Your surgeon will recommend physiotherapy or passive exercises to strengthen your shoulder joint.