Sleep Apnea Treatment in Karol Bagh, Delhi
Lack of sleep has serious implications for health. Sleep apnea is a dangerous sleep disorder that is associated with snoring. In this condition, normal breathing stops and starts again during sleep. ENT hospitals in New Delhi offer the best treatment for such disturbed sleeping patterns.
What are the types of sleep apnea?
- Central Sleep Apnea: In central sleep apnea, the brain fails to send proper breathing signals to the muscles responsible for breathing functions.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: It is one of the most common sleep apneas caused by the relaxation of the throat muscles.
- Complex Sleep Apnea Syndrome: The combination of central sleep apnea and obstructive sleep apnea is called complex sleep apnea. This is one of the most serious types of sleep apnea.
What are the symptoms?
- Very loud snoring that disrupts sleep
- Gasping for air during sleep
- Headaches while waking up in the morning
- Daytime sleepiness, i.e. hypersomnia that ranges from mild to high
- Irritability due to lack of sleep
- Episodes of stopped breathing while sleeping that are reported by other persons
- Having a dry mouth when waking up in the morning
- Difficulty sleeping properly, i.e. insomnia
- Difficulty in paying attention to regular activities while awake
What causes sleep apnea?
The common causes of sleep apnea include:
- Relaxation of the muscles at the back of the throat. It blocks the airway that lets you breathe in. It is responsible for causing obstructive sleep apnea.
- Inability of the brain to send signals to the muscles that control breathing causes central sleep apnea.
- Snoring, choking or gasping for air can be due to other causes like air quality, air pressure, etc.
When do you need to see a doctor?
Consult a registered medical practitioner if you face any issues or symptoms related to sleep apnea. ENT doctors in New Delhi can help you with the best medication and effective treatment of different sleep apnea conditions.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Karol Bagh, New Delhi.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the risk factors?
- Obesity increases the episodes of sleep apnea due to excessive fat deposits around the upper airway.
- Inherited narrow throat that gets narrower due to adenoids or tonsils, especially in kids.
- Sleep apnea is said to be more common in old age.
- Nasal congestion that can be due to allergies or anatomical problems is a risk factor.
- Having a thicker neck compared to other persons.
- Men are at higher risk of developing sleep apnea than women with the same health conditions.
- There is a family history of sleep apnea.
- Medical conditions like Parkinson's disease, high blood pressure, heart issues, type-2 diabetes, etc. can raise the risk of sleep apnea.
- There is inflammation of the upper airway or fluid retention due to excessive smoking.
What are the complications?
- Sleep-deprived partners
- Serious medical issues
- Abnormal liver functioning that causes digestion issues
- Increased complications in surgeries or medical treatment
- Daytime fatigue
- Other metabolic syndromes like abnormal cholesterol levels, increased waist circumference, etc.
How is sleep apnea treated?
Many doctors prescribe general medication for treating sleep apnea. However, certain special cases of sleep apnea may require surgeries as well. ENT doctors in New Delhi offer the best treatment.
Sleep apnea is a serious medical condition that can occur due to multiple issues. It is easy to treat sleep apnea using medication and surgical procedures. However, you should never ignore getting treated for sleep apnea.
Only a few cases of sleep apnea require surgery.
You may require a few days to effectively eliminate sleep apnea by medication.
No, you can get fully treated.