Sport Injuries Treatment in Karol Bagh, Delhi
Sportspeople often experience different kinds of injuries. People may also get injured while working out vigorously or while using gym equipment. They need to undergo treatments provided by experienced orthopedic doctors. These injuries may damage bones, muscles or soft tissues in various parts of the body. You need to be careful about these sports injuries and get treated by the best ortho doctor near you.
What are the different types of sports injury?
- Ligament sprain – If a ligament joining two bones is overstretched, it may get torn off causing sprain at the joint.
- Muscle strain – If muscles or tendons get damaged due to overstretching, this injury is called a strain that is different from a sprain.
- Plantar fasciitis – The ligament in the heel is called plantar fasciitis and inflammation of this ligament due to excessive stress can be painful and makes walking difficult.
- Knee injury – The ligament or muscle of the knee can be damaged due to overstretching during exercises.
- Rotator cuff injury – Muscles of the rotator cuff may get hurt due to vigorous movements of the shoulder joint in different directions.
- Tennis elbow – An injury in the tendons supporting the elbow can cause swelling, inflammation and pain, which makes it hard to move the hand freely or have a proper grip on things.
- Rupture of Achilles tendon – The sensitive tendon at the back of the ankle joint is called the Achilles tendon and inflammation of this tendon is called Achilles tendonitis. The rupture of this tendon causes pain in the heels and discomfort in walking.
- Ankle sprain – The ligaments in the ankle joint may be sprained while practicing sports activities or even during daily jobs, resulting in severe pain and swelling.
- Fracture or dislocation of bone – If a bone is fractured due to overpressure or if it is dislocated from its normal position, it leads to immense pain.
What are the symptoms of sports injuries?
- Immense pain at the spot of sports injury
- Swelling due to muscle or ligament injury
- Stiffness of the joint
- Difficulty in the movement of the injured body part
- Visible bruises on the skin
- Muscle cramps
What causes sports injury?
- Vigorous workout activities, like exercises, running and jogging
- Accidental injuries due to falling or slipping off
- Overwork with physical activities
- Sleeping or sitting in the wrong posture
- Repeating a particular movement several times
- Excessive pressure on a body part
When do you need to see a doctor?
If your injured body part swells up and the pain continues for more than 24 hours, you need to visit an orthopedic doctor in Delhi. The doctor will check your injury and may recommend certain diagnostic tests, like an X-ray or MRI scan to find the condition of the bone, muscles and ligaments of that part. Then he/she will prescribe the best treatment to cure your pain and discomfort.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Karol Bagh, New Delhi.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the risks?
- Bones in children are not hard enough and may get easily injured due to overdoing some sports activities.
- Elderly people have fragile bones and weakened ligaments, which can be injured very easily while running or jogging.
- Neglecting minor injuries can turn into a serious matter, causing more pain.
- Excess body weight can make simple sports injuries worse, mainly knee or ankle injuries.
How can sports injuries be prevented?
- You need to know the right techniques of workout to avoid sudden injuries. It is better to seek the help of a gym trainer before trying out a new exercise regime.
- You should use the proper gear for workouts or sports, like sports shoes of the correct size to avoid muscle strain in your legs.
- If your muscles start aching after workout, you should rest immediately, as overdoing it can seriously injure your muscles and ligaments.
- When you start a workout regime, you need to go slow and practice only a few steps at first, increase the workout time gradually.
How are sports injuries treated?
- The most common treatment for curing sports injury is in short called RICE, denoting rest, ice pack, compression and elevation. This treatment should be started immediately after an injury.
- If the symptoms of a sports injury do not go away despite the continuous application of RICE treatment for more than 24 hours, you need to undergo physiotherapy and medications for pain relief, as prescribed by an orthopedic doctor in Delhi.
- In severe cases, where all other treatment fails to cure the injury, surgery may be the only option to mend the torn ligament or muscle or a fractured bone.
A sports injury is not a serious matter, but you must consult a reputed orthopedic specialist in Karol Bagh on time. You need to follow all his/her instructions diligently for fast recovery.
You should not put pressure on your injured knee or ankle and thus, it is best not to walk without any support till your injury is fully healed by an orthopedic specialist near you.
The injury of the ankle due to partial or full tearing-off of the Achilles tendon can cause severe pain and swelling in your foot. It needs urgent medical attention.
The duration of rest and treatment depends on the severity of your sports injury.