Best ACL Reconstruction Surgery in Alwarpet, Chennai
ACL Reconstruction is a surgical procedure for the replacement of a torn ligament (ACL) in the knee joint with a tendon. Injury to the ligament is usually because of a sudden halt or change in direction while running. An ACL injury is common in sports such as football, basketball, soccer, and skiing that involve sudden movements.
What should you know about ACL reconstruction?
ACL reconstruction surgery aims at restoration of stability and strength of the knee joint if there is a tear in the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL). This is a vital ligament that stabilizes the knee joint whenever there is a need to turn the knee from side to side. ACL is also responsible for preventing slipping of your shinbone over the thigh bone. In ACL reconstruction, an experienced orthopedic doctor in Alwarpet removes the torn ligament and replaces the same with a tendon from your knee or a donor. An expert orthopedic surgeon performs the procedure on an outpatient basis at any of the best orthopedic hospitals in Chennai.
Who qualifies for ACL reconstruction?
Your doctor will assess you based on various parameters to know whether you are the right candidate for ACL reconstruction. Doctors attach more importance to your activities than your age. An individual can qualify for ACL reconstruction procedure in the following situations:
- As a sports person, you wish to continue playing high-risk sports that require pivoting, cutting, jumping and similar unexpected movements.
- You have a cartilage (meniscus) damage, meniscus acts as a shock absorber between shinbone and thighbone
- You experience buckling of the knee that is preventing routine activities such as walking or running
- There are injuries to multiple ligaments.
- You are young (below 25 years).
- Visit any of the best orthopedic hospitals in Alwarpet to consult an orthopedic surgeon to know whether you qualify for ACL reconstruction.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Why is ACL reconstruction performed?
ACL reconstruction surgery is essential if there is a complete tear of the ligament. Here are some scenarios that require ACL reconstruction surgery:
- Adults who take part in activities – If your activities require hard knee movements such as sideways turning, twisting, pivoting and suddenly stopping
- Combination injuries – If ACL injury is present with other types of knee injuries
- Problems of functional instability – If your knee buckles during walking or other simple daily activities increasing signs of further knee damage
What are the complications?
- Continuous knee pain
- Weakness in the knee
- Knee stiffness
- Damage to muscles, nerves or blood vessels
- Numbness on foot
- Pain and swelling after sports activities
- Grinding or pain in the kneecap
- Transmission of disease from a donor graft
- Rejection of graft leading to improper healing
- Reduction in the range of motion
ACL reconstruction surgery replaces a torn ligament with a healthy one. Therefore, you stand a better chance of returning to play after the restoration of normal functionalities of your knee. ACL reconstruction stabilizes the knee during intense physical activities. In the absence of surgery, there is a scope for further damage to the torn ligament and cartilage in the knee. ACL reconstruction by an experienced arthroscopy surgeon in Chennai can prevent future damage, which may require a more extensive surgical procedure.
You will experience pain and discomfort after ACL reconstruction. Controlling the pain is necessary for rest and recovery. Any experienced orthopedic doctor in Alwarpet can suggest medication to relieve the pain. If you find that the pain is worsening, then consult your doctor to rule out any complications.
The risk of not treating an ACL injury can vary depending upon the severity of an injury and involvement of other parts of the knee. In case of mild injuries, you can continue with normal activities that do not require a stable knee.
Knee arthritis can develop after an ACL injury because of damage to the cartilage, inflammation, and genetics. Physiotherapy treatment in Chennai can lower the chances of developing osteoarthritis by restoring the full range of motion.
Recovery after ACL reconstruction surgery is a gradual process. You will need the help of a rehabilitation expert for restoration of a range of motions and for regaining the strength of the knee. The healing of the graft is also going to take several weeks. Normally, a full recovery may take up to six months or even longer.