Male Infertility Treatment & Diagnostics in Alwarpet, Chennai
Infertility can be a serious issue and hamper your mental health as well. The desire to have a child and not being able to conceive are serious issues. Visit a urology hospital near you having the best urology doctors near you. Consult a urologist near you to know if you are suffering from infertility issues.
What is male infertility?
Male infertility is a condition in which health issues lower the chances of getting a female partner pregnant. Around 23% of the Indian male population suffer from infertility. The causes of male infertility are many. The biggest reason could be problems in sperm production or any abnormal blockage that causes less or no sperm delivery.
What are the symptoms of male infertility?
The common signs and symptoms include:
- Inability to conceive
- Difficulty in ejaculation
- Reduced sexual desire
- Erectile dysfunction (inability to maintain an erection)
- Decrease in the volume of ejaculation fluid
- Formation of pumps in the testicles leading to spin and swelling
- Decreased sperm count ( >15 million/mL of semen)
- Decreased facial or bodily hair growth
What causes male infertility?
The main causes of male infertility are:
- Genetic disorders - chromosomal abnormalities like Klinefelter syndrome, genetic mutations leading to cystic fibrosis
- Retrograde ejaculation
- Varicocele - swelling involving the veins that drain into the testicles
- Infections - inflammatory infections of the epididymis (epididymitis)and the testicles (orchitis) or sexually transmitted diseases
- Benign and malignant tumors of the reproductive system
- Failure of the testicles to descend during the developmental stage
- Medications - long-term use of steroids, chemotherapy, drugs of testosterone replacement therapy, certain ulcer drugs, certain drugs used for the treatment of arthritis, marijuana
- Surgery - groin or scrotal surgeries
- Excessive exertion exercises
- Chronic diseases like anemia, diabetes, neurological diseases
When do you need to see a doctor?
Consult your doctor if you are having any of the symptoms mentioned above. Consult a doctor at a hospital that has a department of urology near you. If you are not able to conceive after having several attempts of unprotected sexual intercourse, you and your partner need to visit urology hospitals in Chennai.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the risk factors associated with male infertility?
- Alcohol consumption
- Use of Illicit or prohibited drugs
- Overheating of the testicles either due to occupation or habit of using a hot tub and even tight clothing can cause excess heat in the testicular region.
- Exposure to toxic substances like pesticides and herbicides, heavy metals like lead, and mercury
- Deficiency of zinc, vitamin B and folic acid
- Undescended testicles
- Vasectomy or other pelvic surgeries
- Trauma to the testicles
- Medications of chemotherapy or post-radiation therapy
What are the complications?
- Psychological stress
- Disturbed relationship with partner due to the inability to conceive
- Lack of concentration
- Men having a higher risk of contracting testicular and prostate cancer
How is male infertility treated?
- Surgical - Surgical treatment of the underlying causes like varicocele and obstruction of vas deferens
- Treatment of the underlying infections - In several cases, treatment of reproductive tract infections restores fertility
- Sperm retrieval techniques - In men, with no sperm present in the ejaculation fluid, sperm can be retrieved either from the epididymis or the testicles
- Counseling and medications - This can help in improving the sexual encounters with a partner who complains of erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation of the semen.
- There is no treatment available for genetic causes of Infertility. However, you can opt for assisted reproductive treatment (in vitro fertilization or IVF) to have your biological child.
Approach your nearest urologist and get yourself treated. After all, nothing can replace the joy of parenthood.
Male infertility cannot be prevented but you can take the following precautions to avoid infertility:
- Stop tobacco smoking
- Limit or stop alcohol consumption
- Maintain a healthy diet which will help you maintain a healthy weight
- Avoid vasectomy
- Do not suffer any kind of stress
- Don’t get yourself exposed to pesticides and herbicides
A man can boost his fertility by following the steps that will help him improve his semen health and increase sperm count. Maintaining a healthy diet, regular exercise, taking a vitamin supplement, and avoiding smoking and alcohol consumption can help.
Yes, steroidal drugs decrease the production of hormones that aid in sperm production leading to infertility.