Shoulder Replacement Surgery in Alwarpet, Chennai
Shoulder Replacement or shoulder arthroscopy surgery in Chennai is a procedure for removing and replacing damaged parts of the shoulder. Orthopedic surgeons use artificial components to replace either a single or both parts of the shoulder.
What Should You Know About Shoulder Replacement?
Our shoulder comprises a ball and socket joint that enables multiple movements of the arm. Arthritis or traumatic fractures can lead to abnormalities of the joints, causing severe pain and loss of functionality of the shoulder joint.
Pain relief is the primary aim of this procedure, and the secondary objective is to restore functionality, strength and improve the range of motion. Shoulder arthroscopy surgery in Alwarpet is an ideal solution for patients with shoulder fracture, ligament injury and cartilage in the shoulder, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Who Qualifies for Shoulder Replacement?
You may require Shoulder Replacement if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Severe and constant pain that does not reduce even at rest
- Sleep disturbances because of pain
- Weakness and loss of motion of the shoulder
- Sudden and acute pain even while performing routine activities such as washing, combing, reaching for objects in the cabinet, and using a toilet, just to name a few.
- No improvement with conservative treatment approaches such as physiotherapy, medication, and injectable corticosteroid therapy
If you think you are a candidate for Shoulder Replacement, consult a reputed shoulder arthroscopy surgeon in Chennai for guidance.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Why Is Shoulder Replacement Conducted?
Disability of shoulder and pain results from several conditions that may require shoulder arthroscopy surgery in Chennai.
- Osteoarthritis – Damage to cartilage, which works as a cushion, causes bones to rub against one another. The process can continue for years, leading to a stiff and painful shoulder joint.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – This is a chronic inflammatory condition that destroys the soft membrane surrounding bones.
- Arthritis after a trauma – Fractures can lead to tearing of ligaments and tendons. This can cause cartilage damage and restriction of shoulder movements with severe pain.
A shoulder replacement may be necessary after significant fractures and other conditions that damage the bones, cartilage, and ligaments.
What Are Different Types of Shoulder Replacement?
Different Shoulder Replacement procedures have specific uses. These are:
- Total shoulder replacement- Ideal for individuals with minimum damage to the rotator cuff, Total Shoulder Replacement refers to substituting joint surfaces with a highly polished metal ball with a stem and attaching it to the plastic socket.
- Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement – This is an ideal procedure if there is severe damage to the tendon that holds the bone and muscles of the shoulder together.
- Stemmed Hemiarthroplasty – This procedure replaces only the humeral head or ball of the shoulder joint.
Benefits of Shoulder Replacement
Shoulder arthroscopy surgery in Chennai is ideal for restoring the shoulder joint’s strength and motion while minimizing the pain. Patients can usually go home on the same day after the procedure. You will get complete relief from pain by the end of the second week. This will also improve your ability to move your shoulder.
One month after the surgery of Shoulder Replacement, you will perform exercises for range of motion. Soon, you will have no difficulty doing strengthening exercises for shoulder movement. Following physiotherapy exercises, your improvement after 12 months will be close to 80% of your range of motion.
Risks or Complications of Shoulder Replacement
Besides common post-surgical complications such as infection, the following complications are possible after Shoulder Replacement surgery:
- Damage to blood vessels
- Nerve damage
- Tear in the rotator cuff
- Dislocation or loosening of implant components
- Most of these complications are easily treatable at any reputed orthopedic hospital in Chennai.
Physiotherapy is a vital aspect of the healing process after shoulder arthroscopy surgery in Alwarpet. You can get the proper physiotherapy treatment in Chennai at any reputed hospital. In the beginning, follow gentle exercises. You will also get a home exercise plan for improving the range of motion and strength of the shoulder.
You should drive a car six weeks after the procedure, only if you follow a proper physiotherapy program.
According to expert estimates, shoulder replacement components can continue giving you proper service anywhere between 15 to 20 years.
Do not take part in competitive sports and avoid activities that include lifting weights. Avoid overdoing the exercises. Follow the guidelines of the therapist with no deviation.