Best Allergies Treatment in Alwarpet, Chennai
Allergy is the condition that involves activation of the immune system due to allergens. The severity varies between individuals and may range from mild symptoms to anaphylaxis.
What are the Types of Allergies?
Allergy is of the following types:
- Dust mite allergy: The tiny bugs are present in the house dust. They cause allergic reactions in some people.
- Drug allergy: Drug allergy occurs in a smaller number of people. There is a difference between side effects and drug allergies. Doctors may also perform skin test allergies for topical medicines.
- Food allergy: Food allergy affects around 8% of adults and 5% of children. Foods activate the immune system in some individuals and cause allergic reactions.
- Pet allergy: Some people have allergic reactions due to pet fur. It is interesting to note that there is no hypoallergenic breed of cat and dog.
- Pollen allergy: Pollen fertilizes the other plants that belong to similar species. Some people are allergic to pollen. The pollen allergy is known as hay fever or seasonal allergic rhinitis.
- Mold allergy: Mold is a type of fungi. It may also cause allergic reactions. As it grows indoor or outdoor, hypersensitive people are vulnerable to this allergy throughout the year.
- Latex allergy: Latex allergy may sometimes require immediate medical intervention. Natural rubber latex is present in balloons, latex gloves, and condoms.
- Insect allergy: Stings of some insects, such as bees, wasps, and ants, may cause an allergic reaction. Some insects, such as cockroaches, may also cause allergic reactions without stinging.
What are the Symptoms of Allergies?
The symptoms of allergic reactions depend upon the type of allergen:
Symptoms of food allergy - Patients may experience the following symptoms:
- Tingling sensation in the oral cavity
- Raised itchy rashes
- Facial or oral swelling
Symptoms of pollen or dust mite allergy - There may be the following symptoms:
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Red and watery eyes
- Nasal and eye itching
Symptoms of drug allergy - Patients may have the following symptoms due to drug allergy:
- Runny nose
- Shortness of breath
- Skin rashes
- Itchy skin
- Facial swelling
Symptoms of insect sting allergy - Patients with insect sting have the following allergic symptoms:
- Swelling, redness, and burning sensation at the sting site
- Chest tightness, wheezing, cough, and shortness of breath
What Causes Allergies?
There are several causes of allergy. The irritants that cause allergies are known as allergens. Allergens may be pet fur, food, medicine, insect sting, pollen, and mold.
The immune system protects the body from foreign invaders. The immune system recognizes these allergens or antigens and starts developing antibodies. These antibodies destroy the antigen. However, in people with allergies to the antigen, the body produces specific antibodies known as IgE. These antibodies, when interacting with antigens, trigger the immune response causing allergic symptoms.
When to See a Doctor?
It is critical to diagnose the cause of allergy. Consult your doctor -
- If your allergic symptoms worsen even after taking the medicines
- If you have persistent watery eyes, runny nose, and sneezing
- If you have chest congestion and shortness of breath
- If you have severe swelling at the sting site with pain and burning sensation
Request an appointment at
Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the Treatments for Allergies?
Doctors have several options for treating allergies:
- Medications: Your doctor may prescribe some anti-allergic medicines. These will help in managing allergic symptoms.
- Immunotherapy: In severe allergic cases, anti-allergic medicines may not provide relief. In such cases, the doctor may recommend immunotherapy.
- Anaphylaxis treatment: In life-threatening anaphylactic reactions, the doctor may administer epinephrine injection.
- Avoiding allergens: The doctor diagnoses the causes of allergic reactions and may advise you to avoid them.
There are various causes of allergy. The symptoms and treatment depend upon the cause of the allergy. Consult your doctor if the allergic symptoms worsen.
Mayo Clinic. Allergies. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/allergies/symptoms-causes/syc-20351497. Accessed on: June 23, 2021.
Healthline. Everything You Need to Know About Allergies. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies. Accessed on: June 23, 2021.
Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Types of Allergies. Available at: https://www.aafa.org/types-of-allergies/. Accessed on: June 23, 2021.
Several factors increase the risk of allergies. These are family history of asthma, occupational hazards, persistent exposure to allergens, and medical history of asthma.
Allergy is not life-threatening in most cases. However, some people develop complications. Some possible complications of allergies are asthma, inflammation, sinus infection, anaphylaxis, and ear and lung infections.
Several methods help in preventing allergies. These include avoiding exposure to allergens, maintaining a diary to note when your allergic symptoms worsen, and taking your medicines as prescribed.