Sport Injuries Treatment in Alwarpet, Chennai
Sports injury is a broad assortment of injuries that commonly occur during sports. Although the term, injury, refers to any part of our body, a sports injury pertains only to the musculoskeletal system. Sports injuries thus refer to injuries of muscles, bones, tendons and ligaments. These injuries are usually the result of wear and tear, inadequate warm-up, accidents and improper training or equipment. You can seek proper treatment of sports injuries at any reputed orthopedic hospital in Chennai.
What are the common types of sports injuries?
- Sprains and strains – These can result from excessive stretching and can lead to tearing of ligament or tendon.
- Fractures and dislocations – Fractures and dislocations lead to severe pain and swelling. These can also cause weakness and loss of functionality.
- Knee joint injuries – Knee injury may involve the tear of ligaments, tissues or muscles in the knee joint.
- Swollen muscles – Muscles can swell up because of a muscle injury.
- Rupture of Achilles tendon – The important tendon behind the ankle can rupture leading to excruciating pain. This can also cause difficulty in walking.
- Rotator cuff injury – This relates to a ligament tear in the shoulder.
What are the symptoms of sports Injury?
Symptoms of sports injury can present immediately or may appear slowly after a few hours or even days. Continuous pain is the basic symptom of a sports injury. Another common symptom is swelling, which results from inflammation.
Sports injuries often limit the range of motion. In case of an injury to a ligament, you may also experience a loss of stability as the joint buckles under pressure. If there is nerve damage, one may complain of numbness or a mild sensation of tingling. Weakness in limbs shows damage to a tendon or muscle.
What causes sports injury?
Improper training, lack of warming up before sports activity or regular practice and defective equipment are some causes of sports injuries. We can broadly classify sports injuries into acute sports injury and chronic sports injury to understand causes.
- Causes of an acute sports injury – Sudden event or an accident during a sports activity can cause an acute injury. This can include a fall, collision or slip. You can prevent some accidents by taking proper care or by using protective gear.
- Causes of a chronic sports injury – Chronic sports injuries can refer to the deterioration of an acute injury that is yet to heal completely. Some athletes continue playing despite the pain or acute injury. This can make the injury become chronic.
When do you need to see a doctor?
Though it may not be necessary or practical to consult a doctor after every minor injury or pain, one should seek medical help if the symptoms are worsening:
- Head injury
- Weakness in a limb
- Dizziness or confusion
- Loss of consciousness
- Reduced mobility of joint
- Severe pain that is becoming worse
- Sign of deformity in the affected limb
- Bleeding because of injury to the skin
- Limited or total loss of functionality
If you notice any of the signs mentioned above, consult the best orthopedic surgeon in Alwarpet without a delay.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
How are sports injuries treated?
The standard treatment for mild sports injury is the RICE method that needs to be used within 36 hours. RICE stands for:
- Rest – Suspending the sports activity and using an external aid so that the affected area is not moving.
- Ice – Application of ice can arrest inflammation and relieve pain
- Compression – Use of a compression bandage that is not too tight
- Elevation – Slight elevation of the affected part can prevent inflammation and pain.
If the sports injury is moderate to severe, consult an orthopedic doctor in Alwarpet who may recommend surgery and rehabilitation.
Sports injuries comprise injuries to bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons. It is possible to prevent most sports injuries. Treatment can include orthopedic surgery in Chennai, rest and rehabilitation. You can avoid serious complications with proper treatment.
A sprain occurs because of overstretching of ligaments while overstretching of tendons causes strains. Bruising is a common symptom of sprain and muscle spasm is a classic sign of strain.
Heat treatment is ideal for chronic sports injuries that may occur because of overuse.
An ankle sprain may be one of the most painful injuries because the ankle has to bear the weight of the body.