Women's Health Hospital in Alwarpet, Chennai
Many women suffer from health issues during pregnancies which bring about many changes in the body. Their body undergoes various changes during various stages like menarche (starting of menstruation), pregnancy, and menopause. It becomes imperative that they show concern towards their bodies at different stages, follow a particular regime, and treat treatments to avoid severe damage to the body.
About Women's Health
There are various disciplines examining women's health, including gynecology, urology, gastroenterology, cosmetology, and many more. Female sex hormones like estrogen and progesterone are responsible for the growth, maintenance, and repair of reproductive tissue and influence bone mass. They might suffer from hormonal problems after menopause or a decrease or increase in the thyroid hormone.
Types of Diseases in Women
Due to anatomical differences in the females' bodies, they suffer from different injuries and diseases than men. Many diseases are frequent in females than males:
- Heart diseases – Since the arteries in females are narrower than in males; the former are at high risk of suffering from coronary heart diseases, heart attack, etc.
- Stroke – Stroke is caused when blood supply to the brain stops, resulting from high blood pressure and high cholesterol level. In females, stroke can be caused due to pregnancy or hormone replacement therapy.
- Auto-immune disorders – These refer to conditions like multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Osteoporosis – After menopause, bone density in females decreases due to hormonal changes resulting in osteoporosis, thus higher fracture risks.
- Urinary tract infections (UTI) – Due to anatomy, females are prone to UTI like urinary incontinence, pelvic floor dysfunction, bladder prolapse, etc.
- Gynecological issues – These refer to issues like abnormal menstruation, cysts, fibroids, endometriosis, vaginosis, and PCOD.
- Pregnancy issues - Women suffer from many issues during pregnancy like miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, pre-term labor, premature birth, breastfeeding, and congenital disabilities.
- Cancer – Women are prone to breast cancer, ovarian cancer, colorectal cancer, uterine cancer, and lung cancer.
Causes of Diseases
In women, muscles behind the leg are not as strong as that in males. They have a lower center of gravity, less bone density, and a high body fat percentage. Due to the complexity of the reproductive system, women might suffer from gynecological problems like ovarian cysts, vaginosis, and fibroids.
When to See a Doctor
If you are constantly facing problems during the menstrual cycle, abdominal pain, urine incontinence, and frequent urinary tract infections, you must consult a doctor near you or a gynecologist. Your doctor will diagnose the disease and start the apt treatment for the same.
Request an appointment at
Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Women must undergo STI screening, Pap smear, pelvic exams, mammography regularly to reduce the risks of several chronic diseases and detection at the late stages. Other diagnostic techniques are -
- Blood test – It helps to check anemia, blood clots, and thyroid-related problems.
- Pap smear – It is useful to diagnose the presence of infection or cancerous cells in your cervix.
- Pelvic Ultrasound – It examines the presence of uterine fibroids or cysts in the ovaries.
- Sonohysterogram – This procedure helps produce the image of your uterine cavity and checks for the presence of fibroids.
- Endometrial biopsy – This biopsy helps diagnose endometriosis, cancerous cells, and hormonal imbalance by removing some tissue from the uterus.
- Rh Compatibility screening and gestational diabetes screening prevent the health-related risks in females during pregnancy.
- Breast cancer mammography, gonorrhea screening, urinary incontinence screening turn out to be effective diagnostic techniques for the presence of breast cancer, gonorrhea (STD), and urinary incontinence or pelvic floor dysfunction, respectively.
To eliminate the risk factors and complications usually found in females, they must take the following measures:
- Quit smoking and consuming tobacco
- Eat a healthy diet and maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise regularly and follow stress-reducing techniques
- Limit the consumption of alcohol
- Consume food rich in vitamins, minerals, and fibers
- Practice safe sex to reduce the risk of contracting STDs and ask your gynecologist to prescribe any suitable birth control method
Treatments of Diseases
Depending upon the type of diseases, there are various treatments given to women:
- Supplement hormones after menopause or some surgeries can create hormonal balance in your body and control heavy bleeding.
- Your doctor can prescribe you pain relievers like ibuprofen to lessen the cramps.
- Myomectomy is a surgical procedure to remove fibroids.
- Anemia can be cured by supplementing you with iron-containing medications.
- Hysterectomy and TLH (Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy) are the surgical removals of the uterus and cervix performed in females with a risk of uterine cancer.
- Endometrial ablation and endometrial resection are the procedures to destroy and remove uterine lining, respectively.
Women already have a hectic and chaotic life which affects them mentally, physically, and emotionally. Women are likely to develop heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, depression, and stress. By following healthy habits, they can prolong their life, and live happily. On observing any signs and symptoms, you must contact the specialist as early as possible.
Issues like ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, cervical cancer, breast cancer, endometriosis, PCOD, and Fibroids are only found in females.
Many common vaginal diseases are vaginitis, vaginal cancer, vulvar cancer, and many sexually transmitted diseases.
Various symptoms associated with UTI are itching and irritation in the vagina, swelling in the vulva, and white vaginal discharge.