Prostate Laser Surgery in Alwarpet, Chennai
Laser Prostatectomy is the treatment for curing severe urinary symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate. Such non-cancerous prostate enlargement is usually caused by Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia or BPH.
During Laser Prostatectomy, the Urology doctors in Chennai insert a narrow fiber-optic scope through the tip of your penis. The scope goes into the tube that carries urine from the urethra. The laser travels through the scope and removes, vaporizes, or cuts the excess tissue in your prostate. Your urology doctor in Alwarpet may use medical instruments to remove the pieces of excess prostate tissue from your bladder.
Why is Laser Prostatectomy done?
Urologists in Alwarpet carry out Laser Prostatectomy to relieve moderate to severe urinary symptoms caused by Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. These symptoms include:
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Difficult urination
- Prolonged urination
- Increased urine frequency, especially during nights
- Stopping mid-way during urinating several times
- UTIs (Urinary Tract Infections)
Laser Prostatectomy can also provide you relief or prevention from complications arising because of blockage in urine flow. These include:
- Repeating UTIs
- Damage in bladder and kidney
- Urinary incontinence
- Bladder stones
- Urinating blood
When do you need to see a doctor?
If you notice any or all of the symptoms listed above, reach out to a urologist immediately. You can go online to look up good urologists, by typing urology doctors near me on Google and get your answers.
What are the benefits of Laser Prostatectomy?
Laser Prostatectomy offers many advantages over other methods of treating Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Some of the benefits of Laser Prostatectomy are:
- Low bleeding risk: For men who are currently under medication to treat any blood disorder, such as thinning the blood, Laser Prostatectomy offers them a lower risk of bleeding.
- No stay in hospital: Laser Prostatectomy offers the patients little to no hospital stay. The surgery is done on an outpatient basis and requires a minimal hospital stay of just one night!
- Fast recovery: Laser Prostatectomy patients recover faster than patients who choose alternative methods of treating Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Hence you can resume your everyday life quickly!
- Reduction in need for a Catheter: A catheter is a tube used for draining urine from the bladder after undergoing surgery for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. However, if the treatment method is Laser Prostatectomy, the usage duration is for less than 24 hours.
- Immediate results: For men who take medicines to treat Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia or an enlarged prostate, Laser Prostatectomy is a boon. The results from Laser Prostatectomy are noticeable right away, unlike the medications, which take several weeks to show results.
To understand the after-effects of the surgical procedure, you can search for Urology doctors in Chennai or Call 18605002244 to book an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospital, Alwarpet, Chennai
What are the risks associated with Laser Prostatectomy?
Risks associated with Laser Prostatectomy in Chennai are:
- Difficulty in urinating (temporary): You might face trouble urinating for a few days after the procedure.
- UTIs (Urinary Tract Infections): After undergoing any prostate surgery, there is a risk of contracting urinary tract infections. You can take antibiotics to treat the conditions if any.
- Narrow urethra: Laser Prostatectomy scars can result in a reduction in the structure of the urethra. It can lead to a requirement for additional treatment.
- Dry orgasm: The long-term effect of any prostate surgery is the ejaculation of semen in the bladder rather than out of the penis. It does not cause any difference in sexual pleasure. However, it can affect your ability to be a father.
- Erectile dysfunction: There is a risk of erectile dysfunction after any prostate surgery. Nonetheless, the risk of erectile dysfunction is much lower in Laser Prostatectomy than in other traditional treatment methods.
- Additional treatment: Sometimes, the excess tissue can grow back. Hence, further treatment is required to remove the tissue.
Laser Prostatectomy in Chennai enhances the urine flow in men. It relieves them from several urinary symptoms, and the effects are long-lasting. Make sure to get the procedure done from a reputed urology doctor in Alwarpet, Chennai.
Hold off on sex for a week or two after undergoing Laser Prostatectomy.
Avoid performing strenuous physical activities such as weight lifting. Consult your doctor before resuming the workout.
It is normal to notice blood in urine immediately after undergoing the treatment. However, if the blood appears to be thick, consult your doctor immediately. In addition, you can notice incontinence for a temporary phase. It will improve with time.