Cataract Surgery in Alwarpet, Chennai
Cataracts are one of the leading reasons that cause loss of vision in people. In present times, it is a common condition that affects all age groups. The cataract doctors in Alwarpet suggest medical consultation if you experience any symptoms such as blurred vision, yellowing of colors, nearsightedness.
A cataract is an eye disease in which an opaque cloud is formed on the eye lens. It tampers with your vision and may also cause pain. Usually, it develops in people in their 50s. However, the cataract doctors in Alwarpet, Chennai, recommend regular eye check-ups to overrule the possibilities of the disease.
What are the Different Types of Cataract?
There are four types of cataracts:
- Nuclear cataract: It develops in the center of the lens and turns it yellow/brown.
- Cortical cataract: It develops on the outer edge of the nucleus.
- Posterior capsular cataract: It affects the back of the lens and progresses faster than other types.
- Congenital cataract: This is a rare type present at birth or develops during the baby's first few years.
What are the Symptoms of Cataract?
The main symptoms of cataract include -
- Blurred vision
- Fading of colors
- Trouble with night-vision
- Increased sensitivity to light (especially while driving)
- Double vision in the affected lens
- Need for brighter light for reading
- Seeing halos around lights
- Frequent changes in eyeglasses or contact lenses prescription
- Myopia (an eye condition in which the closer objects appear clear while the distant ones seem blurred)
What Causes Cataracts?
With the advancing age, the protein present in your eyes may form a cluster and cloud the eye lens, forming a cataract.
Apart from this, other causes of cataract include -
- Unprotected and prolonged exposure to UV radiations
- Radiation therapy
- Long-term use of steroids or other medication
When Should You See a Doctor?
If you experience any symptoms, visit a cataract doctor in Alwarpet, Chennai, for consultation.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the Risk Factors of Cataracts?
Various factors that increase the risk of cataracts include -
- Old age
- Smoking and drinking
- High blood pressure
- Certain diseases like diabetes
- Eye injuries
- Exposure to radiation (UV, X-ray)
What are the Various Ways to Prevent Cataracts?
- Cataract doctors in Alwarpet, Chennai, suggest the following to prevent cataracts:
- Always wear goggles when you step out in the sun
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Keep diabetes in check
- Quit smoking/drinking
- Eat fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants
- Get your eyes regularly examined
How are Cataracts Treated?
Surgery is recommended for cataracts. However, seek medical consultation before opting for it. There are two types of surgery to remove the cataract from your eyes:
- Small incision cataract surgery - A small incision is made in the side of the cornea. A probe that emits ultrasound waves is inserted into the eye. This pulls out the lens in pieces (phacoemulsification).
- Extracapsular surgery - Unlike small incision surgery, a large incision is made in the cornea so that the lens can be removed in one piece.
Cataract surgeries are safe and have a high success rate.
Cataracts may disrupt your vision by forming a non-transparent cloud on your eye lens. Various health conditions such as diabetes increase your risk of developing cataracts. It is advisable to get a regular eye check-up, especially if you are above 60 years. Surgery is the ultimate way to get rid of the opaque cloud. Though it is safe, medical consultation is advisable.
Your doctor will perform a series of eye tests that may include -
- Visual activity test (to determine your vision)
- Tonometry test (to measure eye pressure)
- Retinal exam (to diagnose any damages in the optic nerve and retina)
Not at all. Surgery is the safest treatment to cure cataracts. In some cases, the patient might catch an infection, but it can be managed with proper care.
Typically, the procedure takes 20 minutes.
The intraocular lens is placed permanently in your eye and does not wear out.
The cost depends on your insurance coverage and the type of lens option you choose. To determine the surgery cost, you can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai.