Sinusitis Treatment in Alwarpet, Chennai
The sinuses are hollow cavities present in the skull. Inflammation of the sinus is known as sinusitis. There are several causes of sinusitis. Patients may experience fever, swelling, headache, nasal drainage and congestion. They should search for one of the best sinus doctors in Chennai for diagnosis and treatment.
What are the types of sinusitis?
Depending upon how long the symptoms last, sinusitis is of two types:
- Acute sinusitis: Patients with acute sinusitis experience symptoms for up to 4 weeks. However, most of the patients see an improvement between 7 and 10 days. The causes of acute sinusitis include allergy and cold.
- Chronic sinusitis: Patients with chronic sinusitis experience symptoms for over three months. The symptoms, in varying severity, continue for years. The cause of chronic sinusitis, in most cases, is not known.
What are the symptoms of sinusitis?
There are several symptoms of sinusitis. Some of them are:
- Fever due to infection and inflammation
- Mucus overproduction that results in postnasal drip
- Cough and sore throat due to congestion and inflammation respectively
- Swelling causes pressing of nerves leading to tooth pain
- Bad breath due to bacterial growth
- Headache due to sinus blockage
- Fatigue due to fever and infection
- Nasal drainage that is discolored and cloudy
- Nasal stuffiness and facial swelling
What causes sinusitis?
There are several causes of sinusitis. Some of them are:
- Infection: Infections may result in sinusitis. Though sinusitis in most cases occurs due to viral infection, bacterial and fungal infection may also cause sinusitis.
- Polyps: These are the tissue growths in the nasal passage. Nasal polyps result in blockage.
- Deviated septum: Nasal septum, which is a cartilage line, divides the nose. Any deviation in this septum may result in sinus blockage. It may either initiate or worsen the symptoms of sinusitis.
- Underlying medical conditions: Some medical conditions, other than respiratory tract infections, may also result in sinusitis. These include HIV or cystic fibrosis.
- Compromised immunity: People with compromised immunity are also at risk of developing sinusitis. The compromised immunity may be due to diseases or medication.
- Allergies: Allergic reactions such as hay fever may cause sinus inflammation by blocking the sinuses.
When do you need to see a doctor?
Patients may experience one or more symptoms of sinusitis. Consult your doctor if:
- You have recurrent sinusitis.
- You have nasal congestion and drainage that lasts for 7 to 10 days.
- You have headache and fever along with facial swelling
- Your condition does not improve even after taking prescribed medicines.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What is the treatment for sinusitis?
The treatment for sinusitis depends upon the cause and severity of the condition. Opt for the best sinus treatment in Chennai. The treatment options include:
- Medications: Your doctor may prescribe certain medications, such as antibiotics and corticosteroids, to treat sinusitis and manage its symptoms. Corticosteroids may be either oral, injectable or nasal.
- Nasal irrigation: Nasal irrigation helps in reducing the symptoms of sinusitis. It promotes congestion clearance and rinses away the allergic irritants.
- Surgery: When the non-invasive measures do not reduce the symptoms, the doctor may advise you to undergo surgery. Surgery helps in removing the cause of sinus blockage.
Sinusitis affects the quality of life. A patient must consult a doctor to manage and prevent the progression of the condition. The treatment includes medications, nasal irrigation and surgery.
Mayo Clinic. Chronic Sinusitis. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chronic-sinusitis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20351667. Accessed on: June 15 2021.
Cleveland Clinic. Sinus Infection (Sinusitis). Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/17701-sinusitis. Accessed on: June 15 2021.
Healthline. What You Need to Know About Sinusitis. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/sinusitis. Accessed on: June 15 2021.
People with a sinus infection should drink an adequate amount of fluids. It will help in keeping them hydrated. Hydration helps in liquifying the mucus and reduces congestion. Apart from plain water, you may also have hot water with ginger or lemon.
Patients should avoid certain foods that may worsen the sinusitis symptoms. Reduce the intake of dairy products. Chocolate, gluten, tomatoes and cheese may increase congestion, and thus patients should avoid them. Refined sugar has the potential to increase mucus production and has pro-inflammatory characteristics.
Sinus symptoms may be worse at night. There are several reasons for this. Change in blood pressure while lying down may result in blood remaining for more time in the upper body. It may result in worsening inflammation. When a patient lies down, the mucus accumulates at the back of the throat. It increases the severity of the symptoms.