Oculoplasty Treatment & Diagnostics in Alwarpet, Chennai
Oculoplasty, also known as ophthalmic plastic surgery, is a branch of ophthalmology that not only treats the diseases of the eye but also deals with the eyebrows, eyelids and the orbit and the tear system, which are also important for our vision. Oculoplasty is beneficial not only for the diseases related to the eye but also for correcting the appearance of the eyes and its surrounding areas through plastic surgery. If you are interested in going for an oculoplasty, you can get an appointment with ophthalmology doctors in Chennai.
What is oculoplasty?
Oculoplastic surgeons perform several procedures to treat problems relating to the eyes and the area surrounding them. You can visit ophthalmology hospitals in Chennai if you want to avail of the procedures performed by oculoplastic surgeons.
- Eyelid surgery: Ophthalmology doctors in Alwarpet treat ptosis, eyelid tumors, entropion and ectropion. Your oculoplastic surgeon will perform blepharoplasty, canthotomy, cantholysis, canthopexy, canthoplasty, canthorrhaphy, canthotomy, lateral canthotomy, epicanthoplasty, tarsorrhaphy and Hughes procedure to surgically treat different problems of the eyelids.
- Surgery involving the lacrimal apparatus: Your doctor will perform external or endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR) to treat nasolacrimal duct obstruction. Oculoplastic surgeons also perform canalicular trauma repair, canaliculi dacryocyst ostomy, canaliculotomy, dacryoadenectomy, dacryocystectomy, dacryocystorhinostomy, dacryocystectomy or dacryocystotomy.
- Eye removal: Your oculoplastic surgeon will perform the following procedure for eye removal:
- Enucleation is performed to remove an eye while leaving the eye muscles and orbital contents in place.
- Evisceration is performed to remove the contents of the eyes while keeping the scleral shell intact. This procedure is performed to reduce pain in a blind eye.
- Exenteration is performed to remove the entire orbital contents which include the eyes, eye muscles, fat and connective tissues. This procedure is performed to treat malignant orbital tumors.
- Orbital reconstruction: Orbital reconstruction consists of ocular prosthetics (artificial eyes), orbital prosthesis, orbital decompression for Grave’s disease and orbital decompression for patients who do not have thyroid and or undergo orbital tumor removal.
- Other: Other procedures performed by oculoplastic surgeons at an ophthalmology hospital near me include browplasty, botox injections and injectable fillers.
Who qualifies for oculoplasty?
You should visit ophthalmology doctors near you, who perform oculoplasty if you experience the following symptoms:
- If you are blinking your eyes more than required
- If your eyelids are hanging downwards (ptosis)
- If your eyes are twitching
- If there are wrinkles, scars or folds around your eyes
- If your eyes are bulging out
- If an eye is absent
- If you are suffering from blocked tear ducts (NLD block)
- If you have orbit tumors
- If you have experienced eye burns
- If your eyelids are tearing in (entropion) or tearing out (ectropion)
- If tumors are growing inside your eyes or in the areas surrounding your eyes
- If you have excessive fat in your eyes (blepharoplasty)
- If you have cosmetic problems such as bulging lower lids or fallen eyebrows
- If you are suffering from weakness around your eyes or eyelids because of bell's palsy
- If you have birth defects of the eye or the bone around the eyeball (orbit)
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Why is oculoplasty conducted?
Oculoplasty or ophthalmic plastic surgery is performed on patients who are suffering from tear drainage problems, skin cancers of the eyelid, eyelid malposition, eyebrow problems and problems related to the eye socket. Ophthalmology doctors in Alwarpet can best guide you if you are suffering from eye diseases or defects in the structures surrounding your eyes.
What are the benefits of oculoplasty?
The benefits of oculoplasty are:
- It can reduce an irritable condition of the eye.
- It can improve your vision.
- It can rejuvenate your eyes through cosmetic or plastic surgery.
What are the risks associated with oculoplasty?
Risks can include:
- Dry eyes
- Injury to eye muscles
- Chances of future surgery to reduce complications
- Temporary blurred vision
- Bleeding may occur behind the eye
- An infection post surgery
- Sometimes if too much fat is removed through oculoplasty, your eyes might look unnatural
- Noticeable scarring
Oculoplasty is corrective or reconstructive surgery related to the eyes or their surrounding areas. Oculoplasty gives you relief from many painful and irritable conditions of the eyes. You can contact ophthalmology doctors in Alwarpet if you are experiencing symptoms that might need oculoplastic surgery.
An oculoplastic surgeon specializes in reconstructive surgery of the eyes, eyelids, forehead, orbit, cheeks and lacrimal system.
Oculoplasty, which is also known as ophthalmic plastic surgery, is a surgery that is performed to improve vision, birth defects or other problems associated with the eyes.
Oculoplasty is generally safe with few risks such as infection and bleeding.