Rotator Cuff Repair Surgery in Alwarpet, Chennai
Rotator Cuff Repair is the surgical procedure to repair damaged tendons that are holding the upper arm bone and muscles together in the shoulder. Injury to the Rotator Cuff can cause severe pain. Consult an expert shoulder arthroscopy surgeon in Chennai if the injury is very severe and there is no relief from conservative treatments.
What should you know about Rotator Cuff Repair?
The primary function of the Rotator Cuff is to keep the shoulder joint together. It also enables arm rotation and helps us lift weights. Injuries to Rotator Cuffs are common as you grow old or if you are doing overhead jobs such as carpentry or painting. Sportspersons are prone to Rotator Cuff injury. Rotator Cuff injury can also result from a fall or trauma. In case of a tear in the Rotator Cuff, your doctor may recommend surgery. Shoulder arthroscopy surgery in Alwarpet is usually an outpatient procedure.
Who qualifies for Rotator Cuff Repair?
Rotator Cuff Repair is essential if there is constant pain in the shoulder because of a tear in the tendon. Surgery is inevitable if an individual is not getting any relief from symptoms with non-surgical treatment. In the following situations, a Rotator Cuff Repair at any established orthopedic hospital in Chennai is necessary:
- If you are suffering from shoulder pain for the last six months that is not responding to physiotherapy
- Restriction in shoulder movements
- Pain and movement restrictions are interfering with daily activities
- Weakness in shoulders
- You need to use your shoulders for work or you are a sports person
- Rotator Cuff Repair offers significant relief from chronic injury and also from a recent and acute event. You should consult an experienced shoulder arthroscopy surgeon in Alwarpet as early as possible.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Why is the procedure of Rotator Cuff Repair necessary?
Rotator Cuff Repair surgery is not always the first option. If conservative treatment of rest and physiotherapy are not effective, then a Rotator Cuff Repair procedure at one of the best orthopedic hospitals in Chennai becomes a must. The surgery can offer complete relief from pain and weakness in the shoulder joint. It will also restore normal movements of the shoulder to help you resume your work or other daily activities. Depending upon various factors and the facilities available at the hospital, your orthopedist will recommend one of the following procedures for Rotator Cuff Repair:
- Arthroscopic tendon repair
- Open tendon repair
- Tendon transfer
- Shoulder replacement
What are the benefits of arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair?
Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair is an ideal procedure because of the following benefits:
- Outpatient procedure – You need not stay at the hospital for this procedure. You can resume your work faster as the downtime is minimal.
- Minimally invasive – The procedure requires tiny incisions and therefore, there is no major harm to surrounding tissues.
- Faster recovery - There are no large cuts in arthroscopic surgery. This hastens the process of recovery so that you can return to your work in the shortest time possible.
- Less scope for complications – As the procedure is devoid of any major incisions, there is less chance of infections, excessive bleeding and other complications.
Visit an expert shoulder arthroscopy surgeon in Alwarpet to know how an arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair can benefit you.
What are the risks?
- Damage to the nerve - detachment of shoulder muscle if the healing is not proper or if physiotherapy is not conducted appropriately.
- Re-tear of the tendon may occur and this risk is common in many repair surgeries
The risk of post-surgical complications in arthroscopic surgeries is minimum because of small incisions.
Delaying the surgery may not be practical if there is severe pain or loss of functionality that affects work. However, there may be a need for major surgery if you delay Rotator Cuff Repair beyond 12 months.
Failure to treat Rotator Cuff injury can worsen the tear as a partial tear in a tendon may progress to a complete tear. Consult an expert orthopedic doctor in Chennai if you have shoulder pain for over six months.
The tears in tendons do not heal automatically. However, it may be possible to restore functionality to some extent with the help of rehabilitation. Surgery is necessary if your sport or profession involves shoulder movements.