Gallbladder Stone Treatment & Diagnostics in Alwarpet, Chennai
Your gallbladder is a small, oval and pouch-like structure embedded in its fossa, just under the liver. This tiny organ breaks down fat into smaller globules through bile for easy energy production.
There are several general surgery hospitals in Alwarpet authorized to perform the procedure for removing gallstones. You can also search for the best general surgery doctors near me.
What do we need to know about gallbladder stones? What are the types?
Gallbladder stones, medically termed as cholelithiasis, are tough and made of cholesterol or bilirubin in the gallbladder. You could have a single large stone, a handful of small stones or a combination of both.
- Cholesterol gallstones: Yellowish-green in color, cholesterol stones are a result of excess cholesterol concentration in your bile.
- Pigment gallstones: Blackish-brown in color, pigment stones are composed of calcium, calcium bilirubinate or copper sometimes.
To know more about your type of stone, you can visit a general surgery hospital in Chennai
What are the symptoms of gallstones?
There are cases where gallbladder stones show no symptoms. On the contrary, even tiny ones can cause sharp pain. Consult a general surgeon near you if you are experiencing any of the following:
- Intense pain lasting for minutes or hours in the upper right abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
- Referred pain in the right shoulder
What are the causes of gallstones?
The cause of gallbladder stones differs from person to person. Visit a general surgery hospital near you for an accurate diagnosis of your case. These are some commonly seen causes of gallbladder stones:
- Cholesterol deposition: When the liver synthesizes an excess amount of cholesterol and bile cannot dissolve it any further, it gets deposited. These stones can be large, small, symptomatic or asymptomatic, varying from individual to individual.
- Pigment deposition: Pigment stones are a result of excess amounts of bilirubin in bile. It can be due to liver cirrhosis, blood disorder or biliary tract infection.
- Improper emptying of the gallbladder: There are cases where the gallbladder does not empty its bile at a reasonable rate. This remaining bile can accumulate, concentrate and contribute to gallstone formation.
For accurate diagnosis with laboratory tests, radiological studies and USG, visit a general surgery hospital in Chennai.
When do you need to see a doctor?
If you have unbearable abdominal pain, yellowish discoloration of skin, sclera of eyes (jaundice) and high body temperature, seek immediate medical care.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet,Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the risk factors?
- Women are at a higher risk
- People over 40 years are at a higher risk
- History of gallstones
- Overweight or obesity
- Sedentary lifestyle (physical inactivity)
- Consuming low dietary fibers
- Sudden weight loss
- Prior liver ailment
What are the possible complications?
Complications of gallstones include:
- An inflamed gallbladder, resulting in pain while sitting, walking or bending
- Biliary apparatus infection, common bile duct blockage, pancreatic duct blockage or liver infection
- Gallstone pancreatitis, inflammation of the pancreas due to gallstone
- In rare cases, gallbladder cancer
How can you prevent gallstones?
There are plenty of ways you can reduce the risk of developing gallstones. They are:
- By not skipping meals, you not only prevent gallstones but also maintain a healthy weight.
- Sudden weight loss and extreme weight gain are risk factors for gallstones. By maintaining a healthy weight and doing some amount of physical activity every day will benefit you.
- Increase the intake of dietary fibers like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.
What is the treatment for gallstones?
- Cholecystectomy It is medical terminology for surgical removal of the gallbladder. Highly trained general surgery doctors in Alwarpet can help you with this procedure. Although you will have to abide by various dietary restrictions, the intense pain and discomfort will be relieved instantaneously.
- Medications Your doctor will advise you medication only if you are hesitant about surgery or have some underlying condition. Gallbladder removal through drugs can take years to give slight relief but not cure the ailment.
The liver and gallbladder are essential organs for metabolism, digestion and some endocrine functions of the body. Any anomaly in the gallbladder can result in sudden physiological changes. Gallstones can hugely reduce efficiency, both physiologically and psychologically.
Ask your doctor about dietary restrictions before visiting.
- Note down the symptoms you have been experiencing for a while.
- Be aware of family medical history.
- Always ask a family member/friend to accompany you.
Gallstone diagnosis is painless. Your doctor will perform lab tests and imaging tests like USG, CT, MRI and MRCP to determine the cause.
If pain is unbearable, and stones are large enough to cause tears in the bladder, gallbladder infection or biliary duct obstruction, your surgeon will recommend surgery.