ICL Eye Surgery in Alwarpet, Chennai
ICLs are implantable contact lenses that improve eyesight or visual acuity for people having astigmatism, myopia or both. To implant an ICL, you need surgery. An ICL surgery specialist in Chennai places the lens between the colored iris and the eye’s natural lens. The lens then works the existing lens for refracting light on the retina that gives clear vision.
Even though ICL surgery isn’t necessary for everyone with a vision problem, it helps in reducing or eliminating the requirement for contact lenses or glasses. It can be an excellent alternative to laser eye surgery. However, ICL surgery isn’t for everyone.
How is ICL surgery performed?
So, you visit any of the ophthalmology hospitals in Chennai one week before the surgery, and surgeons use a laser for making a minute hold between the natural lens and the front of the eye. This keeps the fluid and pressure build-up in the eye after the surgery. The whole procedure takes only 20-30 minutes.
Before the implantation of ICL, you are given anesthetic drops to minimize discomfort. Next, the laser opening is created for inserting the ICL lens. It is then folded and loaded into a cartridge, and when the lens is in place, it unfolds in the eye. You will experience an immediate improvement in the vision quality.
ICL is a short and painless process.
Who qualifies for ICL surgery?
Before you proceed to look for an ICL surgery hospital in Chennai, find out if you are a suitable candidate.
Here are the key factors that make you a good candidate for the surgery:
- 18-40 years of age
- Currently wear thick or uncomfortable glasses
- Stable vision
- Dry eyes
- Struggling with wearing contact lenses
- Not eligible for advanced surface ablation or LASIK
If you have a history of eye disease, ICL shouldn’t be the course of your treatment. Breastfeeding or pregnant women should also avoid this surgery.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the benefits of ICL surgery?
- High Definition Vision: ICL surgery in Chennai ensures high definition vision correction that is clearer, sharper and more vivid.
- Permanent but Removable: ICL surgery permanently corrects your vision, but you can still remove or replace ICL if you want.
- Unlikely to Cause Dry Eyes: When you undergo ICL surgery in Alwarpet, you are less likely to experience dry eyes. If you have dry eyes, get in touch with ICL surgery doctors for the best vision correction.
- Faster Recovery Time: The recovery time for this surgery is pain-free and quick. It just takes one day as only a small opening is made in the eye.
- Protects from UV Rays: The ICL advanced lens has a UV ray blocker that keeps your eyes exposed to harmful UVA and UVB rays.
What are the complications associated with ICL surgery?
- Vision Loss: In case of high eye pressure for a more extended period, patients can experience vision loss.
- Glaucoma: When ICL is not positioned correctly or is oversized, it increases the pressure in the eye, leading to glaucoma.
- Blurry Vision: It is a symptom of glaucoma and cataract. You might also experience other visual issues such as double vision or glare. This usually happens when the lens isn’t of the right size.
- Early Cataracts: An ICL surgery can decrease fluid circulation in the eye. This, in turn, increases the risk of cataracts. This, too, happens when the ICL is not sized adequately or has caused severe inflammation.
- Retinal Detachment: Eye surgery increases the risk of the retina detaching from the actual position. Even though it is rare, it needs immediate attention.
- Eye Infection: This is a rare side effect and can lead to permanent vision loss.
There are a few things you need to follow before the surgery. Don’t wear soft contact lenses 7 days before the surgery and don't wear any fragrance or makeup on the day of your surgery. Fast for at least 5 hours before the procedure unless advised otherwise.
ICL can correct refractive errors that can’t be fixed with LASIK surgery. Usually, people with severe myopia or astigmatism opt for ICL.
Yes, ICL surgery is completely safe. An ICL surgery specialist in Chennai takes safety precautions leading up to the surgery and provides follow-up treatments.
ICL surgery is done with the help of robust anesthetic eye drops. So, you don’t experience any discomfort. Then, you are sedated intravenously or orally. This takes away the anxiety.