Sleeve Gastrectomy Procedure in Alwarpet, Chennai
Sleeve gastrectomy, also known as laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, is a medical procedure performed to reduce the size of the stomach. It is usually undergone by patients who want to lose weight.
People who want to lose weight may look at sleeve gastrectomy as a viable option. This is a minimally invasive surgery that involves a skilled surgeon inserting medical instruments to remove 80% of the stomach, thus reducing its size. The remaining portion is joined together like a ‘sleeve,’ and the new sack is just 10 percent of the original stomach size.
As a result of the limited stomach size, the patient will consume a much lesser amount of food. This procedure also removes a part of the stomach that secretes a hormone to enhance the appetite. This bodily change results in the patient losing weight as they feel less hungry than before. It also helps the patient to combat conditions like high BP or heart ailments.
Who Qualifies for a Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery?
You can choose to undergo sleeve gastrectomy surgery in Chennai if:
- Your body mass index or BMI is 40 or more (which indicates morbid obesity).
- If you have a BMI range of 35 to 39.9 (obesity) and suffer from a chronic problem associated with body weight.
- In a few cases, one may get this operation done even with a BMI ranging between 30 to 34. This is applicable only if the patient also has other comorbidities around weight issues.
However, one vital point to note is that this procedure by itself cannot be successful in the long term. For this, patients need to have a disciplined approach post-procedure. It involves significant changes to food and lifestyle habits that ensure that the benefits can be seen long-term.
Why Is a Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery Conducted?
The best sleeve gastrectomy doctors in Chennai recommend laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy to help patients lose weight if they have exhausted all other measures like workouts, dietary changes, and lifestyle modifications. It also reduces the risk of one suffering from weight-related, life-threatening problems in the future.
Some of the problems caused due to being overweight that sleeve gastrectomy provide resistance against are:
- Heart stroke
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What Are the Benefits of Sleeve Gastrectomy?
- Sleeve gastrectomy can provide long-lasting weight loss.
- By this procedure, one can lose up to 60% or higher of their excess weight within a few years.
- Sleeve gastrectomy can also improve your quality of life by making you more efficient and will help you to keep up with your daily routine.
- This procedure helps in losing weight and can resolve life-threatening health problems associated with being overweight.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy provides patients with an overall healthy physique. It also boosts their confidence and self-esteem.
What Are the Risks Associated With Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Although it is a relatively safe process, it can sometimes cause health risks as follows:
- Excessive bleeding
- Blood clots
- Breathing Problems
- Leakages from the stomach lining operated on
- Adverse reactions to anesthesia
From weeks before the scheduled surgery, one must participate in physical activity and avoid tobacco. Before the surgery, patients must refrain from drinking and follow the medications they are supposed to consume.
The details of how the surgery is performed depend on the individual's condition and the hospital. The operation is typically performed laparoscopically.
The patient is given anesthesia before the surgery begins. A sleeve gastrectomy surgery in Chennai usually lasts 1 to 2 hours.
There are chances that one might not lose enough weight or might regain weight after the surgery. But that’s possible only when you don't follow the lifestyle recommended or don't eat the type of food prescribed.