Best Ankle Ligament Reconstruction Treatment & Diagnostics in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Ankle Ligament Reconstruction is for tightening and treating ankles and sprains. This surgery is quite simple, and it is an outpatient surgery, i.e., the patient gets discharged on the same day. The best orthopedic hospitals in Chennai have shown the highest success rate in Ankle Ligament Reconstruction. You can visit them for the finest treatment.
About Ankle Ligament Reconstruction
Ankle Ligament Reconstruction is also known as the Brostrom procedure, is used to treat sprains and instability in the ankle. The surgery is performed only when the condition is extreme and the sprain becomes beyond repair. There are several ligaments in the bone for motion. During sprain, these ligaments stretch to a great extent and tear. Sometimes the tear becomes so severe that it needs an operation to get fixed. Contact the best ortho doctor near you to get back on your feet.
Who Qualifies for Ankle Ligament Reconstruction?
Ankle Ligament Reconstruction is only for extreme cases of sprain. Patients with mild to severe symptoms are treated with medicines. You qualify for the procedure if you
- Suffer from multiple sprains or frequent sprains because of sports or even walking, jumping, running, etc.
- Extreme unbearable pain in the ankles
Before the procedure, ask the doctor if you need to stop taking any other medicines. Do not smoke or drink alcohol before the operation. Show all your reports, like x-rays, MRIs, etc., to the doctor to provide more information about the injury. It is advisable not to eat or drink eight hours before the surgery and inform the surgeon about any abnormal symptoms.
Why Is Ankle Ligament Reconstruction Conducted?
- It is an invasive procedure to relieve the ligaments around the ankles. It is used to cure-
- Instability in the ankles
- Excessive pain and bruising in the ankles
- Ankle dislocation
Benefits of Ankle Ligament Reconstruction
Ankle Ligament Reconstruction is an excellent option for treating the worst cases of ankle instability and sprain. Some of the benefits of Ankle Ligament Reconstruction are-
- It is an invasive surgery
- The patient is discharged on the same day
- Quick relief from pain
- Restoration of ankle ligaments
- Increased balance
- Strengthening of ligaments
- Improved blood circulation in the bruised ankle
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Risks of Ankle Ligament Reconstruction
The procedure may have a few non-fatal and common complications. These risks are seen in most of the operations. The threats are-
- Excessive bleeding- during the operation, sometimes because of not following the required precautions, the conditions worsen and lead to excessive bleeding. The blood under the skin can cause Haematoma, which is later operated on.
- Infection- there can be slight chances of infection post-operation. The chances of infection are more in diabetic patients and heavy smokers and drinkers.
- Numbness in nerves- even after taking all the necessary precautions, sometimes the nerves get bruised or damaged during the procedure.
- Failure in operation- The success rate of the process is relatively high, which is around 95 to 96 percent. Still, sometimes you do slight inconvenience or complication when the ankle ligament reconstruction surgery might fail. You do not need to worry in such situations, and Once the difficulty is detected, you can go for a re-surgery.
- Deep vein thrombosis- DVT is mainly because of the blood-thinning medicines.
Ankle Ligament Reconstruction is a safe procedure and does not take a long time to recover. You can get back to your everyday life in a few days. Your doctor will give you all the instructions related to the surgery.
The pain only lasts for around a week. After that, the pain subsides. To eliminate pain, take medicines like pain relievers on time and follow all the precautions to keep the wound unharmed.
It is not required for physiotherapy in all cases. Your doctor will guide you about the Therapy depending on the Seriousness And the pace of recovery after the operation. You can also do simple exercises at home for quick recovery.
After the operation does not rub, scratch, or put extra pressure on the operated area, keep it away from water and avoid performing activities that can cause strain like driving, cycling, etc.