Ligament Tear Treatment in MRC Nagar, Chennai
A tendon and ligament repair surgery is a procedure performed to repair the tendons or ligaments in different parts of the body. It is a simple procedure to restore mobility and reduce pain in the affected tendons or ligaments. You can visit an orthopedic hospital in Chennai to undergo this treatment.
What is a ligament tear?
A ligament is a strong band of tissues that is responsible for connecting a bone to another or a bone to cartilage. It is a fibrous tissue that is present around your knees, elbows, shoulders and other joints.
The ligaments are responsible to hold various bones and muscles together at a joint. Ligament tear occurs due to extreme force at the joint because of an injury or fall. This tearing can make your joints unstable and require immediate surgery.
You can visit Apollo Spectra Hospitals - the best orthopedic surgery hospital in Chennai to know more about ligament tears.
What are the symptoms of ligament tear?
Generally people who have suffered a trauma or injury that led to a ligament tear may suffer from the following symptoms:
- Severe pain and swelling in the area affected
- Inability to move the joints where the ligament tear has occurred
- Inability to push your leg forward or walk
- Looseness in the joints
- Bruising in the affected joint
- A popping or snapping sound accompanying the injury
If you notice any symptoms, you may qualify for the surgery. You should schedule an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals with an orthopedic doctor in MRC Nagar, Chennai at the earliest.
What are the causes of it?
Some of the common reasons that may require this surgery to be conducted are:
- Injury or trauma due to fall: If the tendon in the ankle or ligaments in any body part has ruptured due to an injury or trauma, you may need to repair it through surgery.
- Sudden or extreme movement: A sudden movement or jerk may also cause the ligament in the neck, wrist or legs to tear. Even an extreme movement of the cervical spine may cause the neck ligament to tear.
- Athletic injury: If there is severe pain or aching in the calf or ankle joint after playing a high impact sport like football, you may require surgery to repair it.
When do you need to see a doctor?
You need to visit a doctor for a physical examination of the affected region if you notice any pain or symptoms. If you have experienced an injury or trauma, visit the best orthopedic specialist in MRC Nagar for treatment.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the treatment options available to treat ligament tear?
Some of the treatment options available for ligament tear are:
- Rest: The best way to heal a small ligament tear is by resting.
- Ice: Applying an ice pack on the affected joint may also help reduce pain and swelling.
- Compression: The doctor may wrap your injured region in a compression band to allow it to heal.
- Elevation: You may prop your leg or the affected region on a pillow and lay down. The elevation reduces the blood flow in the region thus making it less painful.
- Surgery: If the ligament tear is severe, a surgery would be required. The doctor may perform an ACL construction to remove the damaged ligament. He will then replace it with a segment of the tendon.
- Physical therapy: A physiotherapist will teach you various exercises to stretch and restore mobility.
A ligament tear is a serious and painful condition. Consult your orthopedic surgeon if you have damaged your ligament and go for post-op consultations regularly for best results.
Yes, several measures may help prevent it.
- Avoiding high impact sports like football or wrestling
- Avoiding running on hard or slippery surfaces
- Stretching your muscles regularly before running
It will take around 6 - 12 weeks for the tendon to completely repair itself. For ligament surgery, recovery may take 6 months. Visit the best orthopedic surgery hospital in MRC Nagar, to know more.