Women's Health Hospital in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Women go through major physiological, psychological and hormonal changes throughout their lives. As a result, women face a lot of health issues.
What do we need to know about women’s health?
The majority of women-centric health issues are related to problems with the reproductive system or with hormonal imbalance. Sex hormones (estrogen and progesterone) produced by the ovaries are not only responsible for menstruation cycle, but also for maintenance and growth of reproductive tissues including bone mass. Women face many health issues due to different reproductive stages like menarche, menopause, post-menopause pregnancy, etc.
Diseases women are more prone to:
- The chances of cardio-vascular diseases like heart attacks are common in women
- Women are more prone to depression and anxiety issues
- They catch STDs more often
- They are more likely to be affected by urinary tract infections
- They are more likely to develop bone density issues like osteoporosis and osteoarthritis
- They are vulnerable to breast and cervical cancers
To know more, you can consult a gynecology doctor near you. Or you can visit a urology hospital near you.
How can women maintain good health throughout their lives?
- Physical exercises and yoga: exercise or yoga is one of the best ways to keep the body healthy and fit. An hour of physical activity like walking, jogging, running, cardio-exercises, playing any outdoor sports like swimming or badminton can reduce the chances of getting heart diseases and is also beneficial for mental health. This also keeps your bones healthy.
- Healthy, balanced diet: ‘We are what we eat’. A healthy, nourishing and fulfilling diet is the foundation of a person’s health. A diet with adequate amounts of macro and micronutrients, vitamins and minerals is important for overall health. Try to cut down on processed and packaged foods full of sugar, saturated and trans-fats and calories.
- A healthy sexual life : maintaining a healthy and hygienic sex life has many advantages. It protects you from sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies. Women with a healthy sex life are able to do a better family planning and also are at a lower risk of developing cardiovascular diseases like high blood pressure and heart attacks.
- Avoid smoking and drinking : chronic consumption of alcohol can lead to heart disease and breast cancer. Babies born to alcoholic women can have a condition called fetal alcohol syndrome. Such babies can have brain damage and learning delays.
When should you visit a doctor?
Other than visiting a gynecologist during pregnancy, women should make sure that they undergo full-body checkups every year.
You can also request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Most of the health issues women go through can be treated with early detection and proper treatment. A healthy lifestyle is the key.
Breast cancer, cervical cancer, uterine cancer and ovarian cancer are common in women. Apart from these, lung, pancreatic and colorectal cancers are also prevalent.
A woman should know about the diseases that can complicate pregnancies, so she should stop consuming alcohol and smoking to avoid chances of stillbirth and miscarriages. She should be prepared for labour much ahead of her delivery time in order to have a safe and healthy pregnancy.
A lot of women undergo cosmetic surgeries. These are basically performed to improve the texture and tone of skin. Procedures like botox injections and collagen help in reducing wrinkles and creases on the skin. Laser treatment can help in treating baldness or alopecia or for removing excessive hair. Cosmetic techniques are also used to remove moles and birthmarks. Liposuction and various other plastic surgeries are done to remove unwanted fat under the skin. Breast augmentation is done to reduce or enhance the size of breasts.