Reconstructive Plastic Surgery in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Reconstructive plastic surgery is an important branch of plastic surgery. A plastic surgeon performs this type of surgery to improve the appearance or restore the normal function of an organ. It aims at correcting birth defects such as cleft palate in children and deformities due to a traumatic injury or medical conditions such as cancer.
Search online for a plastic surgeon near me, and you will get to know about plastic surgeons in Chennai. A plastic surgeon will help you rebuild the damaged part of your body with the help of the latest techniques and skills.
What is reconstructive plastic surgery?
A plastic surgery hospital near you offers several procedures. For instance, a cleft lip repair surgery specialist will address cleft lip defects in children. The following are some critical aspects of the surgery:
- Reconstructive plastic surgery is an outpatient or inpatient surgery depending upon the type and severity of your problem.
- Plastic surgery hospitals in Chennai will conduct preoperative diagnostic tests.
- Plastic surgeons use tissues from your abdomen, thighs, buttocks and back as tissue grafts to rectify a deformity during the surgery.
- In some breast reconstructive surgeries, surgeons may use implants.
- The surgery helps rebuild the body part lost or deformed due to cancer.
- Often, you may require multiple reconstructive surgeries to get the desired results.
Who is an ideal candidate?
Typically, there are two types of problems that require reconstructive plastic surgery. Hence, if you have any of the following deformities, a plastic surgery hospital in Chennai can recommend this surgery:
- Birth defects such as cleft palate, cleft lip, craniofacial anomalies or hand deformities.
- Deformities that arise due to an accident, disease, infection or aging.
Why is this surgery done?
Reconstructive plastic surgery is all about rebuilding damaged body parts. The damage may exist since birth or you may have it due to an accident trauma or due to some diseases such as cancer. Plastic surgeons will perform reconstructive plastic surgery for the following reasons:
- To build a new breast in breast cancer patients after full or partial mastectomy
- Removal of excess breast tissue that is causing discomfort or pain
- To fill the space with tissue after a limb amputation
- Reconstruction of face after removal of a tumor
- Rectify problems such as webbed fingers, arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cleft lip and palate surgery in children
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 044 6686 2000 to book an appointment.
What are the different types of reconstructive plastic surgery?
- Breast reconstruction surgery
- Limb salvage surgery
- Orthognathic (jaw) surgery
- Hand surgeries
- Cleft lip and palate repair surgery
- Craniosynostosis surgery (reshaping the head)
- Gender confirmation surgeries
- Lymphedema treatment (accumulation of lymph after cancer treatment)
- Migraine surgery
- Panniculectomy (contouring the body)
- Septoplasty (for deviated nasal septum)
What are the benefits?
The following are the benefits of reconstructive plastic surgery:
- Restores the body shape after an injury or accident
- Restores normal functions of body organs
- Improves the appearance of damaged or deformed body parts
- Helps you gain self-esteem
What are the risks?
Here are a few risks:
- Blood clots
- Problem with anesthesia
- Delayed healing
Reconstructive plastic surgery improves functions and appearance if you are having birth defects or deformities. A plastic surgery specialist near you will offer you the best treatment.
Cleveland Clinic. Reconstructive surgery [Internet]. Available at: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/11029-reconstructive-surgery. Accessed on Jun 23, 2021.
Johns Hopkins Medicine. Reconstructive Plastic Surgery- Overview [Internet]. Available at: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/reconstructive-plastic-surgery-overview. Accessed on Jun 23, 2021.
Stanford Healthcare. Reconstructive Plastic Surgery [Internet]. Available at: https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-treatments/r/reconstructive-plastic-surgery.html. Accessed on Jun 23, 2021.
The effectiveness depends on your condition, the severity of the defect and the type of surgery.
Recovery from surgery will depend upon its type. You may sometimes return to work within a week. Your plastic surgeon will guide you about this.
If you notice any of the following symptoms:
- Skin changes
- Fluid leakage
- Lumps in case of breast surgery