Menopause Care in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Menopause is a natural biological phenomenon that occurs in women between the age of 45 and 55. Menopause marks the end of the menstrual cycle in women, thus they can no longer become pregnant naturally. Menopause is accompanied by discomfort and symptoms like hot flashes, weight gain, anxiety, mood swings and reduced sex drive. There is usually no treatment required while a woman is undergoing menopause but a gynecologist near you will help you to deal with the symptoms.
What is menopause care?
Menopause not only brings physical symptoms but also emotional upheaval with it. Menopause takes place when the ovaries can no longer release an egg every month. A gynecologist in Chennai will diagnose these three stages in your body:
- Perimenopause – It is the transition period before menopause.
- Menopause – It starts after 12 months of your last period.
- Postmenopause – This stage comes after years of menopause, and its onset cannot be determined.
What are the symptoms of menopause?
You will notice symptoms of menopause maybe a couple of years or a decade before the actual menopause (perimenopause). On observing these symptoms, you must contact a gynecologist near you. Symptoms of menopause include the following:
- Less frequent menstruation
- Vaginal dryness
- Hot flashes, night sweats
- Depression, anxiety, mood swings, sadness, irritation, fatigue
- Sore breasts, weight gain and slow metabolism
- Change in color and texture of hair
- Reduced sex drive
- Dry skin, mouth and eyes
- Difficulty in concentration
What causes menopause?
While menopause is a natural process, there can be other factors resulting in menopause in women:
- The natural decline in reproductive hormones like estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH)
- Premature ovarian failure when ovaries stop releasing eggs prematurely
- Surgical removal of ovaries or oophorectomy
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapy
- Pelvic radiation or pelvic injuries that damage ovaries
- Genetic condition like Turner’s syndrome
- Auto-immune diseases
When do you need to see a doctor?
If you are going through perimenopause, you must regularly visit a gynecologist near you. Your gynecologist will ask you to undergo screening tests like mammography, triglyceride screening, breast and pelvic examination. If you observe vaginal bleeding after menopause, consult a gynecologist in Chennai.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the risk factors associated with menopause?
- Breast cancer
- Urinary tract infections
- Stiffness of joints
- Osteoporosis and reduced bone mass
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Risk of Alzheimer’s disease
- Cataract and macular degeneration
How is menopause diagnosed?
A gynecologist can diagnose menopause or confirm whether it is perimenopause by carrying out a blood test to check levels of:
- Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) – It increases during menopause
- Estradiol - Amount of estrogen produced by the ovaries
- Thyroid hormones - Variation in thyroid hormone leads to symptoms like menopause
- Anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH) – It checks the reserve of eggs in your ovaries
- Blood lipid profile
- Liver and kidney function tests
What are the remedies included in menopause care?
- In case of hot flashes, drink cold water and avoid hot beverages
- Get enough sleep and practice relaxation techniques
- Use vaginal lubricants to decrease vaginal dryness
- Strengthen your pelvic floor with the help of Kegel exercises
- Eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly
- Avoid smoking to reduce the risk of stroke, osteoporosis and heart diseases
What are the treatment options for menopause care?
- Hormone therapy -Supplements for female sex hormones like estrogen and progesterone can be provided to help deal with hot flashes and bone loss.
- Medications - Many medicines can be prescribed by your gynecologist to treat urinary tract infection, insomnia, anxiety, hair loss and postmenstrual osteoporosis.
- Vaginal creams release estrogen and give relief from vaginal dryness and discomfort during sex.
- Vitamin D supplements strengthen the bones and help in curing osteoporosis.<
- Low-dose antidepressants can treat mood swings, anxiety, depression and hot flashes.
Menopause marks the end of fertility in women. Severe hormonal changes in the body bring about various symptoms. Many treatments like hormonal therapy are beneficial and can improve the quality of life. Still, you go through emotional and behavioral changes, so adopt a healthy lifestyle and natural remedies.
There are many symptoms related to low estrogen like painful sex, frequent urinary tract infections, irregular periods, mood swings and breast tenderness.