Prostate Laser Surgery in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Enlargement of prostate or Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) can affect a lot of men over fifty. Laser Prostatectomy helps relieve multiple symptoms of BPH. The procedure involves using a laser to remove or shrink the enlarged prostate tissue to facilitate easy flow of urine. Visit a urology hospital in Chennai to find more about the procedure.
What is Laser Prostatectomy?
Laser Prostatectomy is an advanced surgical procedure to treat prostate enlargement (BPH). The surgery involves the passing of a fiber-optic scope through the opening of the penis. A doctor releases laser energy via the tube for shrinking or removing excess tissues of the prostate that are surrounding the urethra (bladder). Depending upon the type of laser, a urology specialist in MRC Nagar cuts or melts the excess tissue.
Who qualifies for Laser Prostatectomy?
If you are experiencing the following symptoms of prostate enlargement, then expert urology doctors in Chennai can recommend Laser Prostatectomy, which is an ideal and safe procedure:
- Frequent urinary tract infections
- A feeling of incomplete emptying of the bladder
- Urgency to urinate
- Increase in the frequency of urination
- Dribbling of urine after urination
- A weak stream of urine
- Stoppage of urine
- ifficulty in urinating
Visit one of the urology hospitals in Chennai to explore Laser Prostatectomy as one of the treatment options.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Why is Laser Prostatectomy conducted?
Laser Prostatectomy is the standard procedure to treat prostate enlargement in men who are having bleeding disorders. Besides, if you are experiencing the following conditions or symptoms, this procedure can also offer relief:
- Inability to pass urine
- Difficulty in controlling urination
- Bladder stones
- Presence of blood in the urine
- Frequent urinary tract infections
Urology doctors in MRC Nagar also recommend Laser Prostatectomy as a quick and convenient treatment option for bladder stones, retention of urine, damage to kidney or bladder and urinary incontinence. Visit a urology specialist in Chennai to know whether Laser Prostatectomy is suitable for you.
What are the benefits of Laser Prostatectomy?
There are multiple advantages of Laser Prostatectomy over conventional procedures such as Open Prostatectomy and TURP (Transurethral Resection of Prostate). These include:
- Less risk of bleeding - If you have a clotting disorder, then Laser Prostatectomy is an ideal procedure that causes minimum bleeding.
- OPD-based procedure - You may not have to stay at the hospital as doctors usually perform Laser Prostatectomy as an OPD procedure.
- Reduces the need for a catheter - You will have to use a catheter for less than a day if you choose Laser Prostatectomy.
- Quicker results - You will notice faster improvements in the symptoms immediately after Laser Prostatectomy. In other procedures, it may require several weeks for relief from symptoms.
- Faster recovery - Recovery from the surgery is faster.
What are the complications from Laser Prostatectomy?
Following are some complications from the surgery:
- Temporary difficulty in urinating - this may require a catheter to help urine pass through the bladder.
- Infections of the urinary tract - infections after prostate surgery may be because of catheterization. These are treatable with antibiotics.
- Stricture urethra - this may be because of scars during surgery and can require additional surgery to clear the blockage of urine.
- Dry orgasm - this may happen if semen does not enter the penis during sexual intercourse and flows into the bladder instead.
- Erectile dysfunction - this may be a rare complication
- Requirement of a follow-up treatment - If some tissues are growing back, then a follow-up treatment by a urology specialist in MRC Nagar may be necessary
Usually, the results are long-lasting in men with prostate enlargement. However, a repeat treatment may be necessary if the prostate tissues are growing back again. If you notice that your symptoms are recurring, then visit a urology specialist in Chennai for consultation.
The laser energy can seal off the blood vessels that supply blood to the prostate tissue during removal. It can prevent bleeding and also potential complications. It is the reason why urology doctors in MRC Nagar prefer Laser Prostatectomy to treat urinary bleeding.
The duration of the procedure depends upon the size of the enlarged prostate. It may take anywhere between half-an-hour and two hours.
Your doctor will ask you to stop blood thinners or pain relievers to lessen the chances of bleeding. You will also have to take some antibiotics to prevent infections. Please plan for transportation after the surgery because you will have a catheter for some days.