Shoulder Replacement Surgery in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Shoulder replacement or shoulder arthroscopy surgery in Chennai aims at removing and replacing the damaged parts of the shoulder. Orthopedic surgeons use artificial components to replace parts of the shoulder.
What should you know about shoulder replacement?
Our shoulder comprises a ball-and-socket joint that enables multiple movements of the arm. Arthritis or traumatic fractures can lead to abnormalities in the joints, causing severe pain and loss of functionality in the shoulder joint.
Pain relief is the primary aim of this procedure. The secondary purpose is to restore functionality and improve the range of motion. Shoulder arthroscopy surgery in MRC Nagar is an ideal solution for patients with shoulder fracture, ligament and cartilage injury in the shoulder, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Who qualifies for shoulder replacement?
You may require shoulder replacement if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Severe and constant pain that does not get reduced even at rest
- Sleep disturbances because of pain
- Weakness and loss of motion of the shoulder
- Sudden and acute pain even while performing routine activities such as washing, combing, reaching for objects in the cabinet, using a toilet
- No improvement with conservative treatment approaches such as physiotherapy, medication and injectable corticosteroid therapy
Consult a reputed shoulder arthroscopy surgeon in MRC Nagar for guidance if you think you may be a candidate for shoulder replacement.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Why is shoulder replacement conducted?
Disability of the shoulder results from several conditions that may require a shoulder replacement procedure.
- Osteoarthritis – Damage to cartilage, which works as a cushion, causes bones to rub against one another. The process can continue for years, leading to a stiff and painful shoulder joint.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – This is a chronic inflammatory condition that destroys the soft membrane surrounding bones.
- Arthritis after a trauma – Fractures can lead to tearing of ligaments and tendons. It can cause cartilage damage and restriction of shoulder movements with severe pain.
A shoulder replacement may be necessary after a bone fracture and other conditions that damage the bones, cartilage and ligaments.
What are the different types of shoulder replacement procedures?
Different shoulder replacement procedures have specific goals. These are:
- Total shoulder replacement - Total shoulder replacement refers to the substitution of joint surfaces with a highly polished metal ball and a stem that attaches to the plastic socket. It is suitable for individuals with minimum damage to the rotator cuff.
- Reverse total shoulder replacement – This is an ideal procedure to correct the damage to the tendon that holds together the bone and muscles of the shoulder.
- Stemmed hemiarthroplasty – This procedure replaces only the humeral head or the ball of the shoulder joint.
What are the benefits?
Shoulder arthroscopy surgery in MRC Nagar restores strength and motion of the shoulder joint while minimizing the pain. Patients can usually go home on the same day after the procedure. You will get complete relief from pain by the end of the second week. It will also improve your ability to move your shoulder.
One month after the surgery of shoulder replacement, you will be able to perform exercises for a range of motion. Soon, you will have no difficulty doing strengthening exercises for shoulder movement. Your improvement after 12 months will be close to 80% of your range of motion by following physiotherapy exercises.
What are the risks and complications of shoulder replacement?
Apart from common post-surgical complications such as infection, the following complications are possible after the surgery:
- Damage to blood vessels
- Nerve damage
- Tear in the rotator cuff
- Dislocation or loosening of implant components
Most of these complications are easily treatable at any reputed orthopedic hospital in Chennai.
Physiotherapy is vital to the healing process after shoulder arthroscopy surgery in MRC Nagar. You can get proper physiotherapy treatment in Chennai at any reputed hospital. In the beginning, follow gentle exercises. You will also get a home exercise plan for improving the range of motion and strength of the shoulder.
You should drive a car six weeks after the procedure, only if you follow a proper physiotherapy program.
According to expert estimates, shoulder replacement components can continue giving you excellent service anywhere between 15 and 20 years.
Do not take part in competitive sports and avoid activities that include lifting weights. Avoid excessive exercises even if you are feeling comfortable. Follow the guidelines of the therapist with no deviation.