Bariatric Surgeries in MRC Nagar, Chennai
What is Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery is a common term that is collectively used for multiple weight-loss surgeries. It is a surgery that makes changes to the digestive system, helping you lose weight. The surgery can either affect your body’s ability to absorb nutrition or limit the amount of food you consume. It is done when exercise or diet has not worked or develops serious health issues due to your weight.
Bariatric surgery comes with many benefits. If you are considering getting Bariatric surgery in Chennai,
request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Alwarpet, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
About Bariatric Surgery
The specifics of the bariatric surgery doctor in MRC Nagar depends on your situation, the doctor’s practices, and the type of weight-loss surgery you have. Most of these surgeries are done laparoscopically. The surgery generally takes several hours.
Gastric bypass is one of the most bariatric surgeries, and many surgeons prefer this as it comes with fewer complications compared to other weight-loss surgeries.
Who qualifies for Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery in MRC Nagar is an option for you if-
- Your body mass index is 40 or higher
- Your Body Mass Index is 35-39.9, and you are suffering from serious weight-related health issues, such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, or sleep apnea.
It might not be an option just because you are overweight. You might have to cater to specific guidelines for qualifying for weight-loss surgery. Bariatric surgery doctors in Chennai might ask you to go through a screening process to ensure if you are eligible. You have to be ready to make permanent changes to live a healthier life.
Why is Bariatric surgery performed?
Bariatric surgery is performed for losing excessive weight. This can reduce the risk of life-threatening weight-related health issues, including-
- High blood pressure
- Stroke and heart disease
- Sleep apnea
- Non-alcoholic liver disease
- Type 2 diabetes
Bariatric surgery is done only after you have tried to lose weight by exercising and dieting.
Types of Bariatric Surgery
Different types of Bariatric surgery can be performed. It can be done using an open approach that involves cutting open your abdomen or laparoscopically, where the surgical instrument is guided into your abdomen through a tiny incision.
There are four types of Bariatric surgeries,
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- Adjustable gastric banding
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy
- Biliopancreatic diversion with a duodenal switch
Each type of surgery comes with its pros and cons. The chosen procedure depends on various factors, including eating habits, BMI, health problems associated with obesity, and previous stomach injuries. Make sure that you consult a Bariatric surgeon in Chennai to know the right procedure for you.
What are the benefits of Bariatric surgery?
With Bariatric surgery, you can expect to enjoy more benefits than just weight loss. Let’s take a look at them.
- It causes long-term remission of type-2 diabetes.
- The surgery can decrease the risk of coronary heart disease, peripheral heart disease, and stroke.
- It can alleviate the depression that people feel due to being fat.
- Carrying excessive weight puts strains on the joints, leading to chronic pain, and Bariatric surgery can help eliminate it.
- It can improve fertility in the childbearing years.
- Sustaining and achieving a normal weight range allows people suffering from sleep apnea to stop using CPAP machines during bedtime.
What are the risks of Bariatric surgery?
Like with other procedures, Bariatric surgery comes with several health risks, in short, as well as long-term.
The risks that are related to the surgical procedure are,
- Excessive bleeding
- Blood clots
- Adverse reactions to anesthesia
- Breathing or lung problems
- Leaks in the gastrointestinal system
Longer-term complications and risks of the surgery depend on the type of surgery you are having. These complications are,
- Bowel obstruction
- Acid reflux
The whole process from consultation to surgery usually takes about 6 months to be completed. It primarily depends on you and the insurance requirements.
After the surgery, you need to avoid any high-fat and greasy food. You should also take care not to have spicy or sugary food. Keep away from food reheated in the microwave oven.
For a severely obese diabetic patient, bariatric surgery can increase life expectancy.
The amount of weight loss will depend on the surgical procedure performed. However, it tends to be rapid in the first few months of the surgery.