Ear Infection Treatment in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Our ear has three parts: the external ear, middle ear and inner ear. Infections are commonly related to the middle ear. Ear infections are caused by viruses, fungi or bacteria. Children are more vulnerable to ear infections. To seek treatment, you can visit an ear infection hospital in Chennai.
What are the symptoms of ear infection?
- Ear ache
- Hearing loss
- Problems related to balance
- Feeling of fullness in the ear
What causes ear infections?
Specific causes of ear infection are as follows:
- Via Eustachian tube (ET) - It is the standard connection between the ear and the nasopharynx, the internal part behind the nose and above the oral cavity, which keeps the ear clean. In infants, thanks to breastfeeding, fluid is often forced to the Eustachian tube thereby reaching the middle ear. Moreover, the ET tube in children is more horizontal, adding to fluid buildup.
- Via external ear - trauma in the external ear could lead to eardrum perforation, exposing the middle ear to infection.
- Due to adenoid hypertrophy - adenoids are the lymphoid mass in the nasopharynx, close to the Eustachian tube. Its hypertrophy leads to blockage of the Eustachian tube and interferes with normal ear function, making it prone to infections.
- Blood-borne causes are rare, in this case, bacteria already present in the bloodstream affects the ear.
When do you need to see a doctor?
If you have any of the symptoms mentioned above, you should contact an ear infection specialist in Chennai. If you ignore it, it can lead to irreversible complications.
Consider consulting an ear infection specialist if:
- You have ear ache for more than a day
- You have a problem with hearing
- An infant aged less than six months have symptoms
- You have ear discharge
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the complications?
A- Extracranial complications-
- Facial paralysis
- Permanent hearing loss due to infection spreading to the internal ear
B- Intracranial complications-
- Brain abscess
- Meningitis (infection or inflammation of brain coverings)
- Otitis hydrocephalus You must contact an ear infection specialist in Chennai for such complications.
How is ear infection treated?
Ear infection specialists in Chennai can give you the best surgical management team if required (in case of complications). Doctors prepare a plan based on the history provided by you, and you are monitored after administering medicines. Firstly, you are given antibiotics and reviewed after 48-72 hrs.
If you have an excellent response to the prescribed antibiotics, you are asked to continue the same. If your symptoms persist, another antibacterial therapy is ensured for 10 days. These medications include ear drops and nasal drops.
Sometimes doctors have to go for a myringotomy (for discharge drainage).
You must not ignore the warning signs of an ear infection that can cause irreversible damage to you. Treatment options mostly involve medications.
Yes, if ignored, ear infections may lead to serious complications.
Yes, you could suffer temporary hearing loss. There could be a permanent hearing loss if you don’t receive proper treatment and ignore symptoms.
It just depends upon your immune response and the type of bacteria or viruses.