Breast Cancer Treatment & Diagnostics in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Breast cancer occurs mostly in women and rarely in men. It develops when the cells in a breast start growing abnormally.
What are the types of breast cancer?
- Ductal breast cancer: These types of cancer start in the cells that lie in the milk ducts.
- Lobular breast cancer: These start in the cells that line the lobules.
- Non-invasive breast cancer: This type of breast cancer usually does not spread. Also called DCITs.
- Invasive breast cancer: This is the most common type of breast cancer and can spread in the body. One out of the 10 cases involves invasive lobular.
What are the symptoms of breast cancer?
- If you are having your periods in less than 26 days and after more than 30 days, it might be a symptom of breast cancer
- If you feel a tender lump anywhere around your breast
- The lump may be painful at times,and you will feel some changes in your breast
- If you feel pain or rashes for a long time in your breast
What causes breast cancer?
- Estrogen hormone gives the brain a signal to develop breasts. Sometimes, these hormones get released in large quantities, and the breast cells start increasing. This can be a cause of cancer.
- In situations, wherein girls who have their periods at the age of 12 or 13, women who get menopause after the age of 55, and women who do not give birth to a child till the age of 30 or no child for whole life. These people have an increased chance of suffering from breast cancer.
- If you use contraceptive pills or birth pills a lot, there might be a chance of breast cancer.
- Cigarettes, tobacco, irregular meals, sedentary lifestyle and obesity increase the chance of breast cancer.
- Wearing bras of incorrect size increases the chance of having breast cancer.
When do you need to see a doctor?
- If you get a lump in your breast
- If you feel pain or redness or swelling around your breast
- If you undergo a lot of discharge
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
How is breast cancer prevented?
- Avoid taking contraceptive pills regularly.
- Many women avoid breastfeeding their children. But, breastfeeding is one of the safest techniques to avoid breast cancer.
- Try removing bra while sleeping at night
- Consume antioxidant-rich foods and follow a healthy lifestyle
What are the treatment options?
Treatment for cancer includes surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, targeted therapy and immunotherapy.
- In lumpectomy, tumors along with certain cells are removed.
- In simple mastectomy or modified radical mastectomy, the entire breast is removed.
After 35 years, there is a high chance of people suffering from breast cancer. Get in touch with a breast cancer surgery doctor in MRC Nagar if you spot any symptoms of breast cancer.
The average cost of the treatment is INR 5 to 6 lakhs.
It would be good to have a team of breast surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and plastic surgeons.
If you leave the disease untreated, it may harm your life drastically and can be a life-threatening condition.