Hemorrhoids Treatment & Surgery in MRC Nagar, Chennai
What are Hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids or piles refer to swelling of veins around the anus and the lowest portion of the rectum. Internal hemorrhoids occur within the rectum or anus, and external hemorrhoids occur outside the anus. Hemorrhoids are common in adults and cause severe itching, pain, bleeding, and discomfort while sitting. Hemorrhoids are not life-threatening. Fortunately, effective hemorrhoid treatment in Chennai can offer relief from painful and troublesome symptoms.
What are the Symptoms of Hemorrhoids?
Symptoms of hemorrhoids differ according to the types of hemorrhoids.
These develop around the anus. Presence of several nerves in the area cause the following symptoms:
- Pain and discomfort while sitting
- Severe itching or irritation
- Swelling in the area around the anus
Since these are situated deep inside the rectum, you will not feel discomfort. However, you will experience the following symptoms if you strain during defecation:
- Blood in stools
- Sagging of hemorrhoid through the opening of anus and pain
If there is the pooling of blood in external hemorrhoid, it will result in a blood clot (thrombus) resulting in -
- Lump formation near the anus
- Severe pain
What are the Causes of Hemorrhoids?
Excessive pressure in the lower portion of your rectum causes hemorrhoids as the veins stretch and bulge. Following are some more causes of hemorrhoids:
- Straining during passing of stools
- Chronic constipation or diarrhea
- Anal sex
- Low fiber in the diet
- Lifting heavy loads or regular weight training
People who have to sit for a long time for work are more prone to suffer from hemorrhoids as there is constant pressure on the rectum. In addition, age can contribute to the risk of getting hemorrhoids because of the weakening of veins. Heredity is also one of the causes of hemorrhoids.
When to See a Doctor?
Although hemorrhoids can rarely be life-threatening, you should seek immediate medical attention if you notice blood in stools along with severe pain and itching around the anus. Difficulty to sit for long hours and constant irritation in the anal region require a visit to a doctor for hemorrhoid treatment in MRC Nagar.
Sometimes bleeding through the anus or blood on stools may be because of reasons other than hemorrhoids. Consult a doctor for the correct diagnosis of the condition if you notice black stools.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the Treatment Options for Hemorrhoids?
There are several treatment options for hemorrhoids that include diet and lifestyle, medication, and surgery.
- Diet and lifestyle changes - These may offer relief from mild symptoms. Eating a fiber-rich diet, avoiding meat and bakery items may relieve constipation and pressure on the rectum. Avoiding straining during the passing of stools, drinking lots of water, and eating fruits may also encourage smooth bowel movements.
- Medication - Topical and oral medicines relieve itching, pain, and other discomforting symptoms of hemorrhoids. Laxatives can also help to soften stools.
- Surgery - Surgical procedures such as injectable therapy, rubber band ligation, and laser treatment for piles in Chennai are suitable for large hemorrhoids if other conservative treatments are not effective.
Hemorrhoids are treatable with proper diet, lifestyle changes, medication, and surgery. There are several options to prevent the recurrence of hemorrhoids. Timely diagnosis and treatment along with hemorrhoid surgery in MRC Nagar can improve the outcome in most cases.
Avoiding constipation is the main focus for preventing hemorrhoids. Avoid straining during the passing of the stools. You should also avoid sitting on a hard surface for long periods. Increased water intake is also vital for the prevention of hard stools that may strain the rectal muscles. Do not suppress the urge to empty your bowels. Postponing the evacuation of bowels increases the risk of hemorrhoids. You should aim for a healthy body weight if you are obese or overweight.
Bleeding is one of the complications of hemorrhoids. Loss of blood because of hemorrhoids can cause iron-deficiency anemia. Formation of a blood clot is also possible because of hemorrhoids. Visit a doctor for hemorrhoid treatment in MRC Nagar if you are experiencing discomforting symptoms.
Enlargement of the uterus during pregnancy can result in increased pressure on a vein in the colon. It causes bulging of the veins and leads to the development of hemorrhoids.