Hair Transplant in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Hair transplant is a procedure for transferring hair from the non-visible parts of the head to the visible parts. It is done by a trained dermatologist or a plastic surgeon under anesthesia. It requires three-four sessions to achieve the best results. After the procedure is done, lush mop of hair can be expected.
To know more, consult a plastic surgery doctor near you or visit a plastic surgery hospital near you.
What is the procedure for a hair transplant?
Before the procedure, you will be asked to get ready in a hospital gown. A nurse will clean your scalp and apply a numbing agent on your hair with a small needle.
Either of the two procedures are followed after that:
- Follicular unit transplantation - In this procedure, a surgeon uses a scalpel to cut a strip out of the back of your head. The surgeon moves to the removed portion of the scalp to separate it into small sections with the help of a magnifying glass and knife. The hair is then planted on the front of your scalp which will look natural after a while.
- Follicular unit extraction - In this procedure, the surgeon will punch hundreds of holes on your head where the transplants are supposed to be done. A bunch of hair is taken from the back of your head and it is simply placed in the holes. The head is bandaged and the sutures are stitched after the procedure. You will have to undergo 3-4 more sessions to complete the process and get a fully covered head. Your bandages will be removed after 10 days and you can take pain medications but only after consulting your doctor.
Who qualifies for a hair transplant?
- People with pattern baldness, usually men
- People with thinning hair problem
- People who have damaged scalp due to injury or burn
- People with enough hair to be transplanted on bald patches
- People who are physically fit and are not undergoing any therapy
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Why is hair transplant done?
- To improve appearance
- To treat thinning of hair
- To treat pattern baldness in men
- To address any inconvenience due to baldness, thinning or falling of hair
What are the types of hair transplantation methods?
- Follicular unit strip strategy - This procedure involves a large amount of hair to be transplanted from one area to the other.Your dermatologist will take a strip of hair from the donor region and plant it on your scalp. Your donor region is sealed again through sutures which can take a while to heal. This procedure is appropriate for people suffering from moderate to severe baldness because a large amount of graft is required to be planted in a single session.
- Follicular unit extraction - This procedure involves transplantation of hair from the sides or back of the head to the front with minimum cutting and stitching. It is a new method and has become very popular in recent years because the end result looks very natural. The growth looks natural.
- Scalp reduction - This procedure is one of the rarest procedures in hair transplant as it involves stretching of the scalp by surgery. The bald space is covered. It is a costly procedure and is not preferred by a lot of people.
What are the benefits of hair transplantation?
- Improves appearance
- Gracious, lush hair on the scalp
- Inconvenience due to loss of hair is solved
- Thinning of hair is corrected
- Treats scalp damaged by injury or burn
What are the complications of hair transplantation?
- Inflammation in follicles called folliculitis
- Temporary loss of hair
- Swelling of the scalp
- Bruises around your eyes
- Numbness in the area of the treatment
- Loss of sensation in head and neck
- Crust formation on the head
- Unnatural looking tufts of hair
Your hair loss can be due to various reasons like:
- genetic pattern balding
- reactions to medication
- hormonal imbalance
Yes, you are eligible for a hair transplant as young people are the best candidates for the treatment.
Small sessions: 3.5 hours to plant 1300 grafts
Medium sessions: 4 to 5 hours to plant 1300-2000 grafts
Large sessions: 5-6 hours to plant more than 2000 grafts per session. To know more about the procedure, contact your nearest cosmetology hospital.