Deep Vein Thrombosis Treatment in MRC Nagar, Chennai
What is Deep Vein Thrombosis?
DVT or Deep vein thrombosis is a condition where a blood clot forms in the veins of your body, usually the ones which lie deeply. In most cases, DVT occurs in the legs, which may lead to swelling and ache in the legs. However, DVT can sometimes remain completely asymptomatic.
You may suffer from DVT if you have any underlying health issues. Your legs may even develop a sudden blood clot after surgery, during bed rest, or even if you live a sedentary life.
If left untreated, DVT can turn serious, especially when the clots from the veins reach the lungs, thereby obstructing the flow of blood to the lungs. You should visit a deep vein thrombosis hospital in Chennai if you notice any blood clot in your legs that does not go away with time.
Symptoms of Deep Vein Thrombosis
Some common symptoms of Deep Vein Thrombosis which you should not ignore are discussed below:
- Swelling is the most common symptom. Swelling generally occurs in one leg. In a few cases, swelling might develop in both legs too.
- The skin where swelling occurs is discolored and turns reddish.
- DVT mostly comes with acute leg pain, especially in your calf. You may also have cramps on your legs and find it difficult to move at all.
- The skin around the clot becomes warm due to a lack of blood flow, and you can also have a feeling of soreness in your leg.
If you suffer from any of the abovementioned symptoms, you must visit a deep vein thrombosis hospital in MRC Nagar at the earliest.
What are the Causes of Deep Vein Thrombosis?
- If there is a disruption in blood flow in any part of your body, DVT may occur.
- Abnormal blood clotting may also give rise to DVT.
- Your legs may develop a DVT if one or more veins in your legs are damaged due to an infection, injury, or accident.
- If you cannot move for a long time, that may also result in clots in your legs.
When to See a Doctor?
If your symptoms of Deep Vein Thrombosis worsens, you must know that you should visit deep vein thrombosis doctors in Chennai immediately. Sometimes, the clot in the legs may travel to your lungs and lead to a life-threatening condition called pulmonary embolism. This condition can be fatal, and immediate medical attention is necessary. If you experience signs of breathlessness, bloody discharge from the cough, piercing chest pain or increasing pulse rate, immediately visit deep vein thrombosis doctors near you.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment
How to Treat Deep Vein Thrombosis?
The treatment of DVT focuses on the following aspects:
- Tries to reduce the clot
- If the clot does not reduce, the treatment focuses on keeping the clot intact instead of breaking and resulting in pulmonary embolism.
- Tries to prevent another episode of deep vein thrombosis.
Some treatment options of DVT are described below:
- Anticoagulants or blood thinners: They serve two purposes. They prevent the clots from disintegrating and therefore traveling to the lungs. They also help in reducing the size of the clots. Blood thinners are given in the form of IV injections or pills, depending on the intensity of the condition. Medicines like Heparin, Lovenox, Arixtra are given in injectable forms. Whereas drugs like Warfarin, Dabigatran, etc., are given in the form of pills.
- Thrombolytics: Also known as clot busters, these drugs are administered when other DVT medications fail to work, or the patient has developed pulmonary embolism. Thrombolytics can break the clot and cause profuse bleeding, so consult some good deep vein thrombosis doctors in MRC Nagar before you opt for this treatment.
- Vena cava filters: They are placed on the Vena Cava and stop the disruption of the clot, thereby preventing pulmonary embolism.
- Compression stockings: They prevent a second clot, thereby preventing swelling and inflammation. People who had DVT are prescribed these stockings for a long time to prevent severe consequences from the disease. Consult a good deep vein thrombosis specialist in MRC Nagar to get the best treatment.
If you seek immediate medical help and seek deep vein thrombosis treatment in MRC Nagar, DVT can be treated successfully. Taking care of comorbidities like hypertension, diabetes, cardiac diseases, and living a healthy life can help you prevent DVT.
DVT can affect people of any age group, provided they have some risk factors.
Yes, in fact, on any long journey when you do not move your legs for a very long time.
Yes, sometimes fever can be a symptom of Pulmonary embolism.