Cochlear Implant Surgery in MRC Nagar, Chennai
A cochlear implant is an electronic device that can restore hearing. This is a good option for people who no longer benefit from hearing aids or have suffered serious hearing loss due to inner-ear damage. A cochlear implant can bypass the damaged portions of the ear for delivering sound signals to the hearing nerve.
What is a cochlear implant?
A cochlear implant uses a sound processor that is fitted behind the ear. It captures sound signals and then sends them to the receiver implanted behind the skin under the ear. Thereafter, the receiver sends the signals to the implanted electrodes in the snail-shaped inner ear.
The signals trigger the auditory nerves that then direct them to the brain. Your brain then interprets the signals as sounds, but these sounds will not be normal hearing.
With time and training, you will interpret the signals that you receive from a cochlear implant.
What does cochlear implant surgery entail?
If a cochlear implant specialist in Chennai thinks that you can benefit from the procedure, he/she will explain the surgery and schedule it.
Here is what usually happens:
- You are given general anesthesia.
- The surgeon then makes an incision behind the ear and also makes a slight indentation in the mastoid bone.
- The surgeon creates a small hole in the cochlea to insert the electrodes.
- After that, the cochlear implant specialist in MRC Nagar inserts the receiver behind the ear.It is secured by stitching it with the skull.
- As soon as the surgery is complete, you will be shifted to the recovery unit and discharged within a few hours./
Who qualifies for a cochlear implant?
A cochlear implant isn’t suitable for everyone. Adults, children and babies might be good candidates, if they have:
- They are not benefiting from hearing aids
- Serious hearing loss in both ears
- No medical conditions that might increase surgery risks
If you are an adult, you might also be an ideal candidate if you have,
- Hearing loss disrupting spoken communication
- To depend on lip reading, even when you are using hearing aids
- Decided to commit to rehabilitation
If you suffer from hearing loss and want to get a cochlear implant,
request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Why is a cochlear implant used?
A cochlear implant can help restore hearing in people who have suffered severe hearing loss and aren’t benefiting from hearing aids. This device can improve their quality of life and communication.
Cochlear implants on both ears are now used more often for treating severe bilateral hearing loss, especially for children and infants who are learning to process language or speak.
What are the benefits?
With cochlear implant treatments in MRC Nagar, you can improve your quality of life if you suffer from severe hearing loss.
The benefits that one enjoys depend on the rehabilitation process and the procedure. After a cochlear implant, you might be able to:
- Understand speech without lip reading
- Hear different sounds
- Hear music
- Hear voices clearly over the phone
- Watch TV without captions
For toddlers and babies, the device will help them learn how to talk.
What are the risks and complications?
Generally, cochlear implant surgery is safe. But there could be risks such as:
- Inflammation of the membranes around the spinal cord and brain after the surgery
- Implantation of the device can lead to loss of any unclear, remaining or natural hearing capabilities in the implanted ear
- Surgery might at times be needed for replacing or repairing a faulty internal device
Complications are rare but might include:
- Facial paralysis
- Device infection
- Infection at the surgery region
- Spinal fluid leak
- Taste disturbance
Remember, cochlear implants do not restore normal hearing. So, for some individuals, it might not work at all.
A cochlear implant lasts for a lifetime. But you are set up for 3-4 programming appointments starting from a month after the surgery.
Usually, people feel some pain for a few days due to an incision. Some people also experience a headache. But the swelling around your ear is going to last for a month.
With hearing aids, you don’t need surgery and are ideal for people with less serious hearing loss. But cochlear implant needs surgery and is ideal for people with severe hearing loss or poor speech understanding.