Skin Cysts Treatment in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Cysts are small sac-like pockets or closed capsules filled with semi-solid, liquid or gaseous material. They are membranous tissues that can contain air and grow anywhere on your body. They can vary in size and shape.
A cyst is not a part of a tissue, it is separated from the tissue. The layer separating it from the tissue is called the cyst wall. Large cysts can even displace internal organs. Most of these cysts are benign but some can be cancerous or precancerous.
If such a sac is filled with pus, the cyst is known as an abscess. This happens when the cyst is infected. For further information, contact cyst specialists near you.
What are the types of cysts?
There are different types of cysts, depending on the areas of growth and size of the cysts. Some of the most common cysts are:
- Epidermoid cysts: These are small bumps that are non-cancerous, filled with keratin. These may occur if you have trauma around the hair follicle.
- Sebaceous cysts: These are less common than epidermoid cysts. Sebaceous cysts are filled with sebum. They are often formed within ruptured sebaceous glands.
- Breast cysts: These cysts develop in your breast when fluid collects near the breast glands. These can occur in women in their 30s or 40s.
- Ganglion cysts: These are benign cysts that might form near the joint areas like the wrist or hand. They can develop on the feet or ankles. They are more common in women.
- Pilonidal cysts: These cysts form near the top part of the hips. They are filled with skin debris, hair, body oils or other stuff. These are more common in men. These usually occur when hair starts getting embedded in your skin.
- Ovarian cysts: These cysts develop when the follicle that develops eggs in women doesn’t open up. This leads to fluid accumulation resulting in a cyst. They usually form during the menstrual age.
- Baker’s cysts: This is a fluid-filled cyst that forms in the back of the knees.
- Mucous cysts: These are fluid-filled cysts that form around the lips when mucus gets accumulated in the salivary glands.
- Cystic acne: These cysts are a result of a combination of bacteria, oil and dead skin, which get clogged in the pores of the skin.
- Folliculitis: This happens when ingrown hair develops and a pseudocyst forms near it. This is an inflammatory infectious condition.
What are the symptoms?
It’s hard to recognize cysts unless they are large or start causing problems. Some common symptoms associated with cysts are:
- Visibility due to large size
- Affecting another organ functioning
- Growing in a sensitive area
What causes cysts?
Cysts can be formed due to the following reasons:
- Chronic Inflammation
- Inherited Diseases
- Blockage of Ducts
When do you need to call a doctor?
If you see a cyst forming that is large or extremely painful, you should call cyst doctors near you. These cysts can even be cancerous.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
How are cysts treated?
Different types of cysts will be treated, depending on the size or location. If a cyst is very large and harmful, surgical cyst removal may be suggested by your doctor. In some cases, the fluid might be drained from a cyst using a needle or catheter. If the cyst is not visible, radiologic imaging might be performed to locate its accurate position. The fluid drained might then be investigated in a laboratory to see if the cyst is cancerous or not. If the cyst is cancerous, the doctor will recommend a surgical cyst removal procedure or conduct a biopsy on the cyst for further information. A lot of cysts are in themselves symptoms of other chronic conditions like fibrocystic breast disease or polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). In such cases, the treatment plan given by the doctor will aim to resolve these diseases rather than focusing alone on the cysts. For further information, contact cyst hospitals near you.
Cysts are fluid-filled sacs that occur abnormally in your body. They are usually harmless but can be cancerous or painful in certain cases. They can develop because of several different reasons like injury, tumors, parasites, infections, etc. If you see a new lump in your body and are worried about it, you should see cyst specialists in Chennai.
The most common cause of a cyst is duct blockage.