Scar Revision Treatment & Diagnostics in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Overview of Scar Revision Surgery Injuries, surgeries or infections can leave noticeable and unsightly marks on any part of our body. The scar's structure depends on factors like the location, intensity of the injury, age of the person, and other factors.
Some of these disappear with time, but few may not. That does not mean you have to live with the scars forever. Scar revision procedures help to blend scars with the surrounding skin tone and texture. Consult a plastic surgery specialist near you if you are considering scar revision.
What is Scar Revision Surgery?
Scar revision surgery is conducted for cosmetic purposes to minimize the appearance of scars. Some scars may also restrict the movement of a particular body part. This surgery can restore its function.
For scar revision surgery, you need to consult a dermatologist, plastic surgeon or pediatric plastic surgeon. Also referred to as scar removal surgery, it encompasses a spectrum of surgical techniques. Surgeons may use local, regional, or general anesthesia. After the surgery, the healing process can take from a few weeks to a few months.
Who Qualifies for this Surgery?
People with the below-mentioned types of scars can consider scar revision surgery:
- Hypertrophic scars: These are thick bundles of scar tissue that appear at a wound location. Hypertrophic scars look reddish, raised, and may widen with time.
- Surface irregularities or discoloration: such as acne scars or scars resulting from minor surgery or accidents.
- Contractures: Such scars can occur when there is a massive amount of tissue loss, like burn cases. These can restrict the movement of body parts.
- Keloids: Keloids can be itchy and painful. These spread beyond the edges of the original scar and occur in places where there is underlying fatty tissue.
- Stretch marks: When your skin shrinks or expands too fast, it damages the tissues under the skin. These marks generally appear on thighs, belly, upper arms, and breasts and can result from pregnancy or weight loss.
Why is a Scar Revision Surgery Performed?
If the appearance of a scar on your body is bothering you, consult a plastic surgery specialist in Chennai to learn about different scar revision surgeries that are available. These can help you get rid of scar-related discomforts and recurring infections. Further, the presence of a scar can also lower your self-esteem and confidence. This surgery can help in such cases as well.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the Different Types of Scar Revision Surgeries?
Based on the degree and location of your scar, your surgeon will suggest one of the following:
- Non-Surgical and minimally invasive methods
- Topical treatments: such as silicone sheets or silicone gels used to treat discoloration.
- Injectable treatments: made from synthetic products or natural components can improve the look of scars.
- Cryotherapy: The surgeon freezes off the scar
- Surface treatments: include chemical peels, laser or light therapy, and dermabrasion.
- Surgical methods: Your surgeon may suggest one of these or combine it with non-surgical methods.
- Z-plasty: By making incisions on either side of the scar, the surgeon forms angular flaps to reposition the scar, which eventually makes it less evident.
- Tissue expansion: The surgeon places an inflatable balloon under the skin close to the scar. It stretches the skin, and the excess skin tissue is helpful for further treatment.
- Skin flaps and skin grafts: It involves taking healthy tissue from one part of your body and then placing it over the scar.
After the surgery, you may experience dizziness, fatigue, headaches, which are common.
How Can You Benefit from Scar Revision Surgery?
Results of a scar revision surgery are generally permanent. You may start noticing the results after the first week of the surgery.
- It corrects disfigurement.
- Enhances your look.
- Restores self-esteem.
- Extremely safe.
What are the Possible Risks or Complications of Scar Revision Surgery?
A few complications that you must know are:
- Reaction to certain medicines
- Pus-like discharge or bleeding from the wound.
- Blood clots
- High fever with chills.
- Separation or opening of the scar.
- Recurrence of the scar
Undoubtedly, scar revision surgical techniques are an advanced form of plastic surgery that can do wonders in reducing the appearance of scars. However, you must have realistic expectations so that the outcome does not dishearten you. Consult a plastic surgeon in Chennai if you need scar revision surgery.
It depends on the location and type of surgery. However, most people are back on their feet soon. You must follow the surgeon's instructions dedicatedly.
Initially, you may notice swelling, pain, and discoloration of the wound. You must follow the wound care instructions strictly. Keep the location of the surgery clean at all times and use breathable bandages to prevent moisture accumulation around it.
No, scar revision surgeries are possible on people belonging to any age group.
Try to avoid:
- Exposing the scar to sunlight.
- Indulging in any strenuous activity or lifting weights.
- Bathing for a minimum of three days.
- Going to the swimming pool.