Sleep Apnea Treatment in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Sleep Apnea is a condition identified by abnormal breathing during your sleep. It is a severe sleep disorder when your breathing repeatedly stops due to a blocked airway and starts interrupting sleep very often. While you sleep, your throat and tongue muscles are more relaxed, and the soft tissue of the mouth and throat blocks the airway. Eventually leads to heavy snoring, dry mouth, or wakes you up with a choke or gasp. It is highly recommended to consult with general surgery near you before it leads to Insomnia and depression.
Types of Sleep Apnea -
- Obstructive sleep apnea - This condition occurs when throat muscles are at ease during sleep and obstruct the airway through the throat, ultimately causing temporary lapses in the breath.
- Central sleep apnea - This condition occurs when your brain fails to send proper signals to control breathing. There is a malfunction in the brain’s control over muscles involved in respiration, leading to slower and shallower breathing.
- Complex sleep apnea syndrome - When you have obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea simultaneously, it is referred to as complex sleep apnea syndrome.
Any such condition occurs, it is asked to pay a visit to a Sleep Apnea specialist near me
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea -
There is a wide range of factors that could indicate the occurrence of Sleep Apnea disturbance.
- Loudy Snoring - Often, people diagnosed with Sleep Apnea cause loud snoring which most of the patients are not aware of.
- Excessive daytime sleepiness - You might have 12 hours of sleep, but you feel tired throughout the day is a sign of Sleep Apnea disorder.
- Morning headaches - You woke up with a headache although you had a proper sleep but still, there is an ache in your head when you wake up.
- Awakening with a dry mouth - Most of the time, patients wake up in the middle of the night due to dry mouth, and it gets ignored as you might have a glass of water and sleep again, but this is an indication of Sleep Apnea disorder.
- Difficulty staying asleep (insomnia) - Due to lack of proper breathing or dry mouth may lead to less sleep, eventually leads to insomnia.
- Lack of concentration - Sleep Apnea disorder causes lack of sleep which often leaves the brain tired and worn out. Hence, you might find difficulties in paying attention or concentration while awake.
It is a fatigue disorder, hence it is suggested to consult with Sleep Apnea hospital near you when such symptoms occur.
Causes of Sleep Apnea -
- Obesity - During sleep, overweight people have soft tissue of the mouth and throat that are relaxed and eventually leads to blockage in the airway for breathing.
- Hypothyroidism - Underactive thyroid causes sleep apnea. Hashimoto leads to sleep apnea, called obstructive sleep apnea occurs when the throat is swollen and inhibiting breathing.
- Deviated Septum - A deviated septum is a condition in which the nasal septum -- the bone and cartilage that divide the nasal cavity of the nose in half -- is significantly off-center or crooked, making breathing difficult.
When to see a doctor -
- Loud snoring can indicate a potentially serious problem, but not everyone who has sleep apnea snores. Hence, it is advised to consult a sleep specialist in Chennai.
- Lack of sleep or sleep disturbance.
- Any of the symptoms as mentioned above appear that need to be consulted.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Risk Factors for Sleep Apnea -
- Overweight - Obesity greatly increases the risk of sleep apnea. Fat gets around your upper airway can create blockage in your breathing.
- A narrowed airway - This is hereditary a narrow throat where tonsils or adenoids gets enlarge and block the airway, especially in children.
- Nasal congestion - If there is difficulty in breathing through your nose due to an anatomical structure or allergies, more chances for you to develop obstructive sleep apnea.
Treatment for Sleep Apnea -
There are various ways, and with the latest techniques, therapy for sleep apnea disorder can be done in Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai, at ease.
- Nocturnal polysomnography - During this test, you're hooked up to machines that monitor your lungs, heart, and brain activity, breathing patterns, arm and leg movements, and blood oxygen levels while you sleep.
- Adaptive servo-ventilation - After you fall asleep, the Adaptive servo-ventilation uses pressure to normalize your breathing pattern and prevent pauses in your breathing.
- Surgery - During this process, Tissue removal, Tissue shrinkage, Jaw repositioning, Nerve stimulation.
A sleep disorder where breathing is interrupted repeatedly during sleep. It is characterised by loud snoring and episodes of stop breathing. It poses significant health risks and therefore, it is highly advised to consult with an general physician near you whenever you face any sleeping issue or breathing issue while sleeping.
At this time, there is no cure. People who have lost a large amount of weight may have their symptoms reduced to the point that they no longer need CPAP. A sleep specialist must make that determination.
More than 40 million Indians, central, have a sleep disorder – and most are completely unaware of it. Many who are aware they have a diagnosable sleep disorder seek the help they need.
No. However, sleep apnea causes snoring. But both are different conditions.