Urinary Incontinence Treatment in MRC Nagar, Chennai
Urinary incontinence is an accidental leakage of urine that is beyond your control. Anyone can suffer from this problem; however, older people and women are more prone to having urinary incontinence. While it is an embarrassing problem, you must consult a urinary incontinence doctor near you.
The condition is treatable. You should contact a urinary incontinence hospital in Chennai for the appropriate treatment of your problem.
What are the symptoms of urinary incontinence?
Depending on the type of incontinence, you may experience the following symptoms:
- Stress incontinence: This occurs commonly in middle-aged women. You may leak urine during sneezing, coughing, exercising, laughing or lifting a load.
- Urge incontinence (overactive bladder): You may have an uncontrollable urge to urinate and have frequent urination.
- Overflow incontinence: You may leak a small amount of urine whenever the bladder is filled or frequent constant dribbling of urine from the bladder.
- Functional incontinence: Older or sick people may leak urine as they cannot reach the toilet in time.
Some of you may experience mixed incontinence and have symptoms of both urge and stress incontinence.
What causes urinary incontinence?
You may have urinary incontinence due to many reasons such as:
- Stress incontinence: Weak or damaged muscles of the urethra and the bladder due to the following may cause stress incontinence:
- Surgeries such as hysterectomy, prostate removal or Caesarean section delivery
- Urge incontinence: The frequent contraction of the bladder muscles causes urine to leak. This may happen due to the following:
- Too much caffeine intake or excess alcohol intake
- Lower urinary tract infections
- Overflow incontinence: Bladder obstructions due to the following reasons may cause overflow incontinence:
- Prostate problem
- Dropped bladder
- Bladder stones
- Functional incontinence: Due to an injury or conditions such as arthritis, you may find it difficult to reach the toilet in time. You may have total incontinence due to a particular congenital disability or spinal injury.
When should you see a doctor?
Although the condition is embarrassing, feel free to consult a urinary incontinence specialist. Accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment will cure the disease. If you experience any of the above symptoms and urine leakage is affecting the quality of your life, visit a urinary incontinence hospital in Chennai.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 044 6686 2000 to book an appointment.
How will doctors treat urinary incontinence?
A urinary incontinence specialist in Chennai will decide on your treatment depending on the severity of symptoms and the underlying condition. He/she will suggest a suitable treatment from the following options:
- Kegel exercises (pelvic floor exercises)
- Biofeedback mechanisms
- Timely passage of urine
- Use of pads and diapers
- Use of external urine collection bags
- Use a catheter to collect urine every 3 to 4 hours a day
- Lifestyle changes - you must:
- Quit smoking
- Restrict alcohol consumption
- Limit caffeine intake
- Avoid constipation
- Drink less water just before bedtime
- Medicines for bladder control
- Estrogen cream for vaginal application
- Closure of the bladder opening by injecting a medicine that thickens the wall
- Insertion of a small medical device in the vagina
- Nerve stimulation to control urination
- Surgical incision to insert an indwelling catheter in the bladder
- Sling procedures that place synthetic material below the urethra
- Bladder neck suspension to provide support to the urethra by abdominal incision
- Prolapse surgery in women who have pelvic organ prolapse
- An artificial sphincter placed surgically in the bladder may be activated by pressing a valve beneath the skin to allow urination.
Urinary incontinence is a common problem that affects the quality of your life. However, the good news is that it is treatable. Search online for a urinary incontinence doctor near me, and you will get several options. For the best advice and treatment, request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai. Call 044 6686 2000 to book an appointment.
Urology Care Foundation. What is urinary incontinence? [Internet]. Available at:
https://www.urologyhealth.org/urology-a-z/u/urinary-incontinence. Accessed on Jun 25, 2021.
Mayoclinic. Urinary incontinence [Internet]. Available at: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/urinary-incontinence/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20352814. Accessed on Jun 25, 2021.
National Institute of aging. Urinary incontinence in older adults [Internet]. Availabe at: https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/urinary-incontinence-older-adults. Accessed on Jun 25, 2021.
Doctors will perform a physical examination, urine analysis and X-ray studies and study urine dynamics to diagnose the condition.
Medicines that relax the bladder muscles are commonly used to treat the condition.
Yes, people with diabetes often have problems emptying their bladder and are at risk of urinary incontinence.
Kegel exercises strengthen your pelvic muscles and help in bladder control.