Thyroid Surgery in MRC Nagar, Chennai
The thyroid gland is located over your larynx or voice box. It wraps the trachea or windpipe. Also, the gland produces a hormone called thyroxine and secretes it directly into your bloodstream. However, our body uses the thyroid hormone to increase energy and body temperature. To know more, consult the best thyroid surgeons in Chennai.
What is thyroid surgery?
- If you have an enlargement of the gland called goitre, benign nodules, cysts or an overactive thyroid, you will need to undergo the surgery.
- Before the procedure, an intravenous line starts. Patients consume antibiotics to decrease the chance of infection in their bodies.
- Also, surgeons will give general anesthesia to patients.
- Surgeons will insert a breathing tube down your throat to help you breathe during the operation.
- Also, your surgeon will make a minor incision on the neck to access the inner organ.
- Depending on your situation, the surgeon will remove one globe of your gland or the whole gland.
- They may put a surgical drain in your incision to ensure that any unwanted fluid is drained out. The patient will be with such a drain for two days maximum
- At the end of the procedure, the surgeon will close the incision with stitches, staples, surgical glue or closure tape dressings.
- After your procedure, the surgeon will remove your breathing tube and will take you to the recovery area for monitoring.
- The surgeon may check the larynx for injury and will give you antibiotics as per the requirements.
- Most of the patients are released from the hospital within one or two days.
Who qualifies for the surgery?
- If thyroid is quite enlarged or dysfunctional, thyroid removal treatment is recommended.
- It may be recommended because of the biopsy results that clearly show cancerous cells.
- Thyroid cancer is the diagnosis.
- You have symptoms like the compressing of the trachea or difficulty swallowing food.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, MRC Nagar, Chennai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Why is thyroid surgery done?
Thyroid removal surgery in Chennai is performed due to certain reasons. Surgery is needed if you have a thyroid nodule, recurrent thyroid cysts, goitre, Graves’ disease, etc.
What are the different types of thyroid disease?
- Hyperthyroidism: It occurs when the thyroid glands produce too many thyroid hormones. A single nodule is responsible for this disease
- Graves’ disease: This is an autoimmune disease.
- Thyroiditis: It is the inflammation of the thyroid.
What are the benefits?
- When one of the lobes of the gland gets removed, you don’t have to stay at the hospital for a long time. You can go home in a day or two.
- The surgery is done through a very small incision, about an inch or half.
- There’s minimum discomfort after the surgery.
What are the risks?
- You can have a sore throat after the surgery. This is because the surgeons put a breathing pipe down the throat. Also, this pipe helps patients breathe during the surgery.
- Your voice may sound a little weaker. But, after two to three days, it becomes completely normal.
- Risks specific to thyroid surgery occur rarely.
Thyroid surgery is by and large a safe procedure. Tests like X-ray and ECG will be done before the surgery to ensure that you are fit for it.
Thyroid surgery is usually performed by thyroid removal specialists in Chennai or ENT doctors.
Surgery is better as it has fewer complications for the body. It tends to cure the disease more effectively than the radioactive process.
No, thyroid surgery is safe.
During the initial days, it might be a little painful to swallow foods. After a few days, it gets back to normal.